what is the new Arizona Immigration Law ?

i hear everyone talking about the new arizona immigration law, what is it?

lauren92

Asked by lauren92 at 10:14 AM on Aug. 3, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• It's the same thing as it was before but they cannot require police to ask for immigration papers. Doesn't mean they can't ask though if a crime has been committed. Though it was not in the law before the judge also said Sanctuary cities were not allowed.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 10:19 AM on Aug. 3, 2010

• It says everyone should come in LEGALLY, and if they don't, they won't get free crap and they can go to jail. (well, basically) LOL

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arizona_SB_1070

BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 10:21 AM on Aug. 3, 2010

• Seriously? You haven't heard about it?! Well it WAS a law that was SUPPOSED to enforce the existing FEDERAL law (that isn't being enforced) that would have allowed Law Enforcement to check someone's immigration status if they felt it was necessary, as Arizona has a HUGE illegal immigration problem, and the Feds weren't doing anything about it, so they tried to take measures into their own hands.

Unfortunately, a judge's ruling basically took the KEY parts of the bill (again that mirrors that existing federal law) out, so it's essentially null and void. The ruling is being appealed through the super liberal 9th Circuit Court of Appeals, so, it's basically not going to happen.

HOWEVER, yesterday the Attorney General in VA, ruled that it IS acceptable for Law Enforcement to check the immigration status of those in question, as necessary! Yay for VA! :o)
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 10:24 AM on Aug. 3, 2010

• BINGO lorik
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 10:41 AM on Aug. 3, 2010

• I heard the president said that AZ and the supporters of this law are "anti-immigrant"! WHAT!!! The fact that illegals come to this country for any other country without the required background checks or the required vaccinations is just - what - inconvenient? The "must carry papers" issue. I call bull on that. If I go to any other country as an immigrant. (or on vacation) my passport is to be with me at all times. If I loose it, I had better hope someone will get me to the American Consulate. It is no different. Why do we try to act like it is. Have you checked out the laws to immigrate to other countries (forget just Mexico)? We aren't anit-immigrant. We are anti -ILLEGAL immigrant. The pres. is really out of touch with the citizens. (natural born or legal immigrants). He worries me more than usual.

jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 11:34 AM on Aug. 3, 2010

• ***from any other country****
    jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 11:35 AM on Aug. 3, 2010

• It's opening the door for more racial issues, and bigger B/S false complaints for ICE to sort through, as well as making it difficult to live here for many legals.
    hot-mama86

Answer by hot-mama86 at 2:01 AM on Aug. 4, 2010