Is it crazy to say that you won't let your girls sleep at a friend's house that has an older brother?

First I will start by saying that my girls will be 8 and 10 this fall. My husband and I had a conversation about sleep overs. He said that when they get older he would not feel comfortable with our them sleeping over at a house where there is an older brother. For fear that things can happen!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:21 AM on Aug. 3, 2010 in Tweens (9-12)

• Wow, in that case...he can't let them out the door. They could have sex at school....in a matter of minutes and no one would know.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 10:23 AM on Aug. 3, 2010

• Crazy, no. It depends on how well you know the brother and the family. I slept at my friends' homes even though they had brothers, but my mom knew I was smarter than that and she knew the character of the brothers.
    Desi_Momof4

Answer by Desi_Momof4 at 10:23 AM on Aug. 3, 2010

• not crazy, just protective. thats why you should know the family REALLY well before allowing your girls to sleepover, no matter who are members of said family.
    keisha613

Answer by keisha613 at 10:23 AM on Aug. 3, 2010

• I am protective to a certain extent.I like to know the people who have a sleep over.I won't let any of them stay somewhere I don't know.
    Stefono

Answer by Stefono at 10:24 AM on Aug. 3, 2010

• Maybe not so much now,but when the girls are 12+,then yes. I have a 2nd cousin that got pregnant by her best friend's older brother when she was 14 and he was 17. No one figured that anything like that would happens,but it just goes to show you it can. he was praising her up and invited her into his room,and one thing led to another......

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 10:25 AM on Aug. 3, 2010

• No, I don't think thats a crazy thing to say at all. Depending on the age of the older brother..if he's way older..than that may not be so bad..he would be more interested in girls his age. But if it was an older brother that was a year or two older..yeah, I'd be concerned. A friend of mine has a 10 year old daughter that is best friends with 10 year old twin girls that have a 12 year old brother. Now, the brother and my friends daughter has claimed to be "boyfriend-girlfriend" for about 3 years now. WHen they are around eachother, they try to hang all over eachother, he picks her up,she hangs on his back, he puts his arm around her shoulder. To ME..thats totally innappropriate for thier age. My friend won't let her daughter spend the night over there, but the twins can come to her house.I would do the same thing.
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 10:25 AM on Aug. 3, 2010

• His fear is legit, that's how I lost my virginity. The boy next door, I was friends w/ his sister.

But, will he not allow them to go ANYWHERE!? Because seriously kids these days seem to not care. They are doing it in bathrooms at school, bleachers at football games, etc.

I would just make sure you trust the parents at the house you are sending them to. And if you notice flirting between the girls and guys, THEN implement the rule?
    I dunno, I see both sides. Lol
    ToriBabe1221

Answer by ToriBabe1221 at 10:26 AM on Aug. 3, 2010

• If you feel the way you do you must go with your gut. I would rather be better safe than sorry. Have the friends at your house if feel bad and want to make up for it? But your gut is your gut.
    j45505

Answer by j45505 at 10:27 AM on Aug. 3, 2010

• Not crazy at all, only concern parents do this, I use to have sleepover at my house all ofthe time because I wanted to be in control.

Answer by older at 10:28 AM on Aug. 3, 2010

• I'd say there are no absolutes. It would definitely be something to think about, but I'd take it on a case by case basis. If I felt the risk of "something happening" was too high I'd ask that the friend sleep over at our house instead.
    TweenAndTwinMom

Answer by TweenAndTwinMom at 10:31 AM on Aug. 3, 2010