depression during pregnancy

im 34 weeks pregnant. apart from the usual heart burns and hot flashes last night was the worst !! i felt uneasy and my whole body was itching like crazy. kind of like when some drug addict acts when he doesn't get his usual dose of drug (lol, no im not a drug addict, im just trying to paint you guys a picture here the state i was in last night). i felt as if tiny insects were crawling under my skin. and well ofcourse i was feeling very depressive as well. anyone else felt this way in the last month of their pregnancies? is this normal ??

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:23 AM on Aug. 3, 2010 in Pregnancy

• This happened to me with my last pregnancy and I was told it was this:

Intrahepatic cholestasis of pregnancy is caused by an impairment of bile secretion in the liver. As the bile backs up in the liver, the level of bile acids increases in the bloodstream. These bile acids are deposited in the skin causing the intense itching. Cholesterol, triglyceride, and bilirubin levels are also increased.
    IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 10:27 AM on Aug. 3, 2010

• The itching of ICP can be treated with emollients, antihistamines, soothing baths, primrose oil, and anti-itching products such as Sarna. Medications that aid in bile secretion such as ursodeoxycholic acid (UDCA), cholestyramine, and S-adenosylmethionine have shown variable benefits in reducing itching and bile levels. High dose oral steroids may also be a possible treatment for ICP.

http://dermatology.about.com/cs/pregnancy/a/icp.htm

IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 10:28 AM on Aug. 3, 2010

• I did i hated the feeling. After i had my son the feeling i had just stoped. I think i was lucky but talk to your doctor he can tell u a liitle more.
    LindaSue169

Answer by LindaSue169 at 10:29 AM on Aug. 3, 2010

• I like the above answer about why you may feel like insects are crawling on you. I just want to add that at 34 weeks your anxious Your almost at the finsh line so I am sure your nerve are getting the best of you. Don't worry much momma everyone has some depression whether they care to admit. Depression can be from carrying a load and being very uncomfortable. The urge to nest(prepare for baby) some of us get agitated with our mates at this point. We all have some type of depression even in the smallest form because we want everything to be perfect for our brand new life us mothers give.
    Hang in there and I am sure after you give birth you will be full of Joy! Congrats,take care!
    loriec

Answer by loriec at 10:35 AM on Aug. 3, 2010

• Is this your first? I know once I got to the 34/35 week mark I felt like I was going to explode and I went 6 weeks after that! I would lay in bed looking at the window and just be livid and depressed because I was too uncomfortable to sleep and there was no position that was comfortable, and I knew I couldn't roll over by myself. The last month is the real trial. As far as the itching I know exactly what you're talking about. I don't know if mine was as severe as yours but the more irritated and anxious I got the worse it was, and it just made me more upset.

I don't know if it could be a medical condition like the first answer mentioned above, but i would say if it continues talk to your dr because you need to get as much rest as you can.
    1st_time_mom23

Answer by 1st_time_mom23 at 10:40 AM on Aug. 3, 2010

• I had that exact same thing when I was pregnant with my first. My OB/GYN said I'd developed an allergy to my placenta (how strange is that!). I was just a teen then, but I was terrified with my other three pregnancies because the itching was so intense I was afraid I wouldn't be able to handle that again!
    With my third, I was extremely depressed. So depressed that my doctor put me on anti-depressants. I would never ever recommend those to anyone. It made me feel numb, I didn't cry anymore, but I didn't feel happy either. Just hang in there and think about the precious little baby you'll get to meet soon!!
    SAHMomOf3

Answer by SAHMomOf3 at 10:45 AM on Aug. 3, 2010

• being uncomfortable for long periods of time can be very depressing... i'm only 25 weeks along but there have been a couple of times (once in towards the end of my first trimester, and a couple days ago actually) when I started feeling depressed, never going to do this again, why can't this just be over, etc...
    when i start feeling depressed the things that help me the most are: get outside (going to the pool has been a lifesaver for me!), talk to someone who understands, help someone else with something they are working through (gets my mind off of myself for a while)
    If the depression continues after the baby is born please don't be afraid to tell your doctor!!!
    elizabiza

Answer by elizabiza at 10:58 AM on Aug. 3, 2010

• I felt that way, too. I would itch so bad that I would make myself bleed, It was horrible. But the good thing is, it was gone immediately after my kids were born (I experienced all of that with all 3 pregnancies).
    MommySteph06

Answer by MommySteph06 at 11:00 AM on Aug. 3, 2010

• The itching happened to my SIL too. It was horrible. I am sorry that you are going through that.
    I have a history of depression so I deal with it during my whole pregnancy. However, during the last 8 weeks or so the depression and anxiety usually gets more intense for everyone. There are tons of what ifs and hows going through your head. I hope that it gets better.
    hsmominky

Answer by hsmominky at 8:29 PM on Aug. 3, 2010

• I also wanted to add to my previous answer that I took an antidepressant throughout my entire pregnancy. It was completely safe and has been tested over and over again. The one I took was Effexor XR, but I know there are many other possibilities and, I believe, all antidepressants are safe during pregnancy, at least SSRIs. Good luck.
    MommySteph06

Answer by MommySteph06 at 10:19 AM on Aug. 11, 2010