Should I let my 7 year old son go to Florida for the summer with my mom who lives there. I just don't know how safe i would feel with him gone so long. Can anyone give me advice.

My moms great with my son and my son loves being with her and ever since she moved back to florida he has been wanting to go. My husband and i just know if we can let him go for that long.

LindaSue169

Asked by LindaSue169 at 10:23 AM on Aug. 3, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I think you should, there is nothing like a great summer memory with grandparents.

Answer by older at 10:27 AM on Aug. 3, 2010

• Why does it have to be the whole summer? I would send him for a 2 weeks at the most, then I would go down and stay a week then all go home together. See how that works out and maybe he could stay longer the following year.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 10:27 AM on Aug. 3, 2010

• I would let my daughter go. I trust my mom 100% and if my daughter didn't want to stay all summer when she got there then we could make arrangements. I used to spend 6 weeks with my grandparents every summer and it was a blast. I slept in late, went to all of their senior functions, and ate delicious food ... some of the best days of my life!
    kaylan010

Answer by kaylan010 at 10:30 AM on Aug. 3, 2010

• i would let my kids go to. and 7 years is a pretty reasonable age for a kid to have sleepovers at his/her grandparents. i think its fine. so let him go and have fun.
    cookie269

Answer by cookie269 at 10:31 AM on Aug. 3, 2010

• If you feel comfortable that your mom will keep him safe, then I'd let him go although I don't know if I'd let it be for the whole summer, maybe just a couple of weeks.
    ceallaigh

Answer by ceallaigh at 10:32 AM on Aug. 3, 2010

• I think it would be a great experience for him. I would definately let my kids spend the summer with their grandparents. Just think of the freedom you would have for an entire summer. Of course, figuring you have no other children that would be home with you. If you trust your mom then my vote is to let him go. Summers away from mom/dad can be a great experience for kids/teens. Even if it is staying with relatives.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 10:34 AM on Aug. 3, 2010

• Why not just have him go, but not for the entire summer? That way everybody gets what they want.
    Awakened1

Answer by Awakened1 at 10:35 AM on Aug. 3, 2010

• Summer is 2/3 over, why not let him go for the remainder? I'm sure he'd have a great time - and what a wonderful opportunity to connect with his grandparents in a meaningful way and make some terrific memories.
    Gaccck

Answer by Gaccck at 10:40 AM on Aug. 3, 2010

• Yes, it would be a wonderful experience for the both of you. He will hopefully learn to appreciate mommy and daddy more. You will miss him and appreciate him so much more.

If you trust your mom so much, you should grant her that, your son and your husband time with you alone. You all deserve a break from each other.

Go for it, as long as you trust your mom.. If this is your first I completely understand how your feeling... :) Good luck!!! Enjoy time for you guys as a couple...
    KFree907

Answer by KFree907 at 10:41 AM on Aug. 3, 2010

• Your mom raised you and nothing happened to you. Do you trust your mom enough to keep your child all summer? If your mom was ok with you let him go. This sounds like a trust question.

Please understand, I am not trying to be rude or critical. If you are nervous or scared, call every day or better yet go with your son for a few. days, until you feel ok.
    PA-PAGrandma

Answer by PA-PAGrandma at 10:48 AM on Aug. 3, 2010