How much are you (did you) pay for school supplies?

I was going through the list today, my DD is going into 5th grade, and it's going to be about $70. My son is starting 8th grade, and it's about $44. These amounts don't include backpacks, clothes, or any class fees.

It seems like every year we have to buy more Kleenex, dry erase markers, zip lock bags, etc. It is what it is, but I wonder how some families can even afford this?

Scuba

Asked by Scuba at 10:42 AM on Aug. 3, 2010 in

• (oh, and I forgot to say that I got some great deals at Walgreens - this week, they have 10 packs of pencils for 9 cents and 6 packs of highlighters for 19 cents and plastic school boxes to hold supplies for 59 cents!) Shop those loss-leader deals, it helps a lot! I hope you have a Walgreens nearby!
    Gaccck

Answer by Gaccck at 10:43 AM on Aug. 3, 2010

• I buy everything on sale, crayons .5 cents, pencils .5 everything each week so I am guessing $65.00. I stack up... My kids get in line with me, I can't afford it any other way..

Hey they are paying customers. Staples, I have left overs from last year. So I only get what I need unless it is really cheap..

:)
    KFree907

Answer by KFree907 at 10:45 AM on Aug. 3, 2010

• Right about $100 - for 4 kids.
    Gaccck

Answer by Gaccck at 10:42 AM on Aug. 3, 2010

• My son is going into the 9th. So far, I bought one binder, one folder, one pack of paper and one pack of pens. All cheap. I won't know if he needs more until later.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 10:43 AM on Aug. 3, 2010

• Well we homeschool, so I paid about $20 for all our supplies, and they should last the whole year....of course I only have to buy for my three kids, and I may have to get a few more things if I forgot something.
    fallnangel93

Answer by fallnangel93 at 10:44 AM on Aug. 3, 2010

• About $3... Notebooks were .15 ea, pencils were .50 a box... So we loaded up & we bought Crayons just so they don't have to share - those were .33 per box...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 10:44 AM on Aug. 3, 2010

• I am STILL amazed at all this stuff other Schools ask their students to bring... You should just all move here! lol!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 10:45 AM on Aug. 3, 2010

• It's more expensive when they are in elementary school. I have to send in Purell, tissues, copy paper. Once they hit high school it's just for your child - notebooks, pens paper, etc. I haven't even looked at my daughter's list yet.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 10:45 AM on Aug. 3, 2010

• My son is going into 5th grade. I spent about $62 including his Backpack and lunchbox. So, I did not think that was too bad.
    mommy11260

Answer by mommy11260 at 10:57 AM on Aug. 3, 2010

• I haven't seen any list for any of my 3 kids yet. I have a ton of school supply type items that I keep in house anyways for them to use on homework & such so I don't assume that I'll need to buy a lot more. I think I spent the most last year when my oldest started 7th grade. He needed a heavy duty backpack($80) and a scientific calculator and things like that. My little ones can use their items from last year and I guess I'll just buy some hand sanitzer for the class. Teachers love that stuff.
    Orionsgirl

Answer by Orionsgirl at 10:58 AM on Aug. 3, 2010