No landmark status, thoughts?

NEW YORK – A New York City panel has denied landmark status to a building near ground zero, freeing a group to convert the property into an Islamic community center and mosque.

The Landmarks Preservation Commission's voted 9-0 against granting landmark status to the 152-year-old building, which is blocks from the site of the Sept. 11 attacks.

National and New York politicians and the Anti-Defamation League have come out in recent weeks against plans for the mosque, saying it disrespects the memory of Sept. 11 victims. Mayor Michael Bloomberg has supported the mosque.

Commissioners said the building didn't meet historic criteria to qualify as a landmark.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/us_ground_zero_mosque

sweet-a-kins

Asked by sweet-a-kins at 10:48 AM on Aug. 3, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• O yea, I forgot lol..BTW, Peace be with you!
    __________________
    Ailekum el salaam.

Since people are convinced I am a Muslim I may as well play the part! I am probably a "secret Muslim" like Obama
    stacymomof2

Answer by stacymomof2 at 1:39 PM on Aug. 3, 2010

• I know.....what in the world are white,republican, conservative,Christian people thinking when they discriminate against decent Muslims who just want their mosque REBUILT? It makes me so angry to see these prejudiced posts. I worked with some wonderful people at a large national bank in the 1990's who just happened to be Muslims and they were intelligent and gentle people. I think the prejudice comes from being afraid of strangers. I bet you haven't even known any Muslims or people who aren't Christians,have you??? It is called XENOPHOBIA. and of course,prejudice .....
    gertie41

Answer by gertie41 at 12:07 PM on Aug. 3, 2010

• I wonder if New Yorker's are still happy that they were able to overturn the term limit law for governors?! LOL Good luck, New Yorkers!
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 10:55 AM on Aug. 3, 2010

• You guys realize that there already is a prayer site in this building and they've been praying peacefully for some time, right? Grab yer pearls and gasp, ladies! The Muslims are already there!!! AIIEEEEE!!! /sarcasm

The vote was never about "letting" the mosque be there. It's about being able to tear down the existing structure and rebuild a new facility. It was about landmark status of the physical building. Besides, do you REALLY want to set the precident of allowing the gov't to decide where, what size and how many christian churches go up? Because that would be the pandora's box you'd be advocating opening.

deadheadjen

Answer by deadheadjen at 12:34 PM on Aug. 3, 2010

• I would have given it landmark status simply because the building is 152 years old. But then again, I love old architecture and the history that goes along with the buildings.

Youngwifey2

Answer by Youngwifey2 at 1:40 PM on Aug. 3, 2010

• Good! The fact that people still think that all Muslims are evil makes me sick! This is a house of worship. I may not agree with their religion but I do not agree with Christains either so it makes no difference to me where it goes! RELIGIOUS FREEDOM FOR EVERYONE IS WHAT THIS CPUNTRY WAS FOUNDED FOR ANYWAY!
    delilahsmom1177

Answer by delilahsmom1177 at 1:59 PM on Aug. 3, 2010

• A lawsuit will now be filed. Why would they want to build a mosque where no one wants it?
    I bet there are 20 mosques in NY. I really don't believe they have good intentions in building this center
    and Mosque so close to the towers site.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 10:55 AM on Aug. 3, 2010

• If no one wants it there they should not build it!!

They are not showing any respect for the families that lost love ones. If it go's up it will be taken down!
    gammie

Answer by gammie at 11:22 AM on Aug. 3, 2010

• I bet there are 20 mosques in NY.
    __________________
    I'll bet there are more than 10 times that number. So, there should be a limit on how many? What do you consider the correct amount?

I really don't believe they have good intentions
    _______________________________
    What possible logic do you have for this statement?
    stacymomof2

Answer by stacymomof2 at 11:45 AM on Aug. 3, 2010

• They are not showing any respect for the families that lost love ones. If it go's up it will be taken down!
    _________________________________
    Is this a threat? What about the Muslim families that lost loved ones?
    stacymomof2

Answer by stacymomof2 at 11:47 AM on Aug. 3, 2010