Share your stories of how your family was permanently helped by assistance!

We've seen so many stories about abuses of assistance programs, but I believe there are also many success stories. Can anyone tell about how their family is in a better position now because of temporary use of things like PELL Grants, childcare assistance for 2 years, food assistance, etc?

Please no bashing here. This is not a debate about PA. I want to hear about successes.

Iamgr8teful

Asked by Iamgr8teful at 10:49 AM on Aug. 3, 2010 in Just for Fun

• i had my 1st child at 16. at the time i was working at wendy's. my wendy's paycheck would have done nothing for the cost of formula so if it wasn't for wic, i wouldn't been able to afford to feed my baby. i still went to high school full time and if it wasn't for the childcare assistance, I would have had to drop out. Thanks to that, I was able to graduate from high school with my class as if i didn't even have a baby. and i used the PELL grant to partially pay for college. so my teen mom story turned into a success because of assistance.
    keisha613

Answer by keisha613 at 11:00 AM on Aug. 3, 2010

• Aftering having dd and losing my job and having to go to a min. wage job dh and I got on food stamps. They help us because now I can feed my dd. My milk dried up when I started working again. It's just nice to know that now I can go to store and not have to worry about how much formula I have or having to hope and pray that the half a can we do have will last another day until one of us gets paid.
    jedwards2009

Answer by jedwards2009 at 11:00 AM on Aug. 3, 2010

• I have no problem with the fact that I received assistance from the state. I received childcare so I could go to work and school, food stamps and insurance. I worked a job that didn't offer insurance for me or my son while I went to school full time. Without the benefits that I had received I NEVER would have been able to work or go to school. I have now graduated from college with my bachelors degree in education and wouldn't have been able to do it without help!!

skittles1108

Answer by skittles1108 at 11:00 AM on Aug. 3, 2010

• Awesome stories, all of you! I will post how various kinds of assistance have helped me a little later. I have to get the kiddos to bed.
    Iamgr8teful

Comment by Iamgr8teful (original poster) at 8:24 PM on Aug. 3, 2010

• When I was in my early twenties, I ended up homeless through my own poor decisions. My mom would have let me move back in with her, but not with my boyfriend (who is now my husband). We used food stamps to help us so we wouldn't have to spend money on food, and we worked every day making beaded and sterling silver jewelry and selling it in stores and out in the open directly to customers. Within a month we had saved up enough money to buy a used van for $500. That was home for another month until we saved enough money to get an apartment. Food stamps helped get us off the streets.

Many years later, when our first child was born, I gave up my job to stay home with her. Four years later we had a second child, still on one income. I had started working on a nursing degree (PELL Grant) when our oldest was one. I took online classes as much as I could and went evenings to avoid child care as much as possible. (continued)
    Iamgr8teful

Comment by Iamgr8teful (original poster) at 9:16 PM on Aug. 3, 2010

• (cont) The program has exactly two years that I have to be in the classroom full-time days, so I've used childcare assistance to help me get through school. I'll graduate as an R.N. this December.

Last fall, DH lost his job (our only income) and was denied unemployment benefits. We had to ask for food assistance and Medicaid (b/c we also lost our insurance). Five months later DH had another job and as of two months ago we have insurance again. Our family did not starve during the crisis, and we did not have to go w/o medical care.

I think the reason we haven't gotten more responses is that many people cannot post anon and are afraid of getting bashed (which has happened here). I am an optimist. I think there are a lot of people who used the help just like it was meant to be used. I think we live in a great country and appreciate the safety nets we have here.
    Iamgr8teful

Comment by Iamgr8teful (original poster) at 9:20 PM on Aug. 3, 2010