• In the Spotlight:

Do you think it's ok to take a baby to a rock concert?

Dh and I went to Mayhem fest. this weekend with Korn and Rob Zombie, we left our 7 mo old dd at home with Grandma. But it looked like we were one of the few! I saw babies in strollers (like infant babies), toddlers, and up. Not to mention the random pregnant women I saw walking around. The one who looked like she could go into labor any day with a beer in one hand and a cig. in another really made me stop and think "wow..." I just don't think a huge rock concert with 20,000 people is a good place for an infant. All the smoke, and pot and drunken idiots running around, mosh pits... Even for a slightly older child, I just couldn't see telling my six year old why that woman was taking off her shirt for everyone. Not to mention the language. A four or five year old could learn a lot of new fun words at a place like that! lol

jedwards2009

Asked by jedwards2009 at 10:57 AM on Aug. 3, 2010 in General Parenting

• Of course not. It's a selfish, immature, and terribly unintelligent choice.
    justnancyb

Answer by justnancyb at 10:58 AM on Aug. 3, 2010

• I don't believe so.
    SuperrMommyy

Answer by SuperrMommyy at 10:58 AM on Aug. 3, 2010

• No way. It's just too loud for babies, not to mention that people don't always conduct themselves very well. I wouldn't take anyone under 16 or so to a true rock concert.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 10:58 AM on Aug. 3, 2010

• I agree with the first poster, it's a stupidly selfish decision on the part of the "parents"
    Gaccck

Answer by Gaccck at 10:59 AM on Aug. 3, 2010

• LOL..No I don't think a rock concert is a place for a baby. Pregnant woman..well..if they feel up to it, whatever. But a baby? no way. Possible ear drum damage can happen for one thing. And youre right about all the other stuff going on...the drinking, the pot..and all those people are strangers, noone knows how a stranger is going to react to drinking or dugs..might get crazy or violent. Sigh..some people just don't think I guess.
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 11:02 AM on Aug. 3, 2010

• Well another thing I don't get... This concert was mine and dh's first time out in like a YEAR. When I go to a concert I want to have fun not take care of a baby!
    jedwards2009

Comment by jedwards2009 (original poster) at 11:03 AM on Aug. 3, 2010

• No I don't think babies/young children belong at rock concerts.
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 11:04 AM on Aug. 3, 2010

• I'm a musician, and yes. . .I played at festivals while pregnant. South By Southwest. Music is not a scary thing.

I have taken my child to festivals. Fortuantely, the fests I go to or play at don't have the "Rob Zombie and Korn" crowd that you speak of (1995 called. They want their Adidas jackets back).

The most important thing is to protect the baby's ears. I use Peltor children's earmuffs.
    kelli0585

Answer by kelli0585 at 11:09 AM on Aug. 3, 2010

• Personally NO, it's too loud for their little ears not to mention all the pot smoking around, and sometimes it's just plain dangerous with all the kids moshing
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 11:09 AM on Aug. 3, 2010

• No babies should not be taken to a Rock concert nor older children as it is harmful to there hearing and other things.!!!!!!!!!!
    SassyDee01963

Answer by SassyDee01963 at 11:10 AM on Aug. 3, 2010