How to deal with food throwing?

My 12 month old has been throwing food off his highchair for over a month now, and I'm not sure how to handle this. There are 3 time he does this. First is when he's frustrated (ie: in the beginning of the meal when he's hungry but doesn't want to stop playing) - he'll cram food into his mouth with one hand while flailing and throwing things with the other hand. He's clearly frustrated with something and it usually calms down after a few minutes. Second is when he doesn't want something - he'll pick through the pieces & throw the food he doesn't want. Third is when he's just curious about gravity and then looks to see where they land. Since he's eating hungrily the whole time, I don't want to take food away (he's already a skinny kid - he needs food).

I tried ignoring it, but it's just getting worse (he's clearly not doing it to get my reaction). Only giving him 1-2 pieces at a time doesn't help either. What would you do?

Sebbiemama

Asked by Sebbiemama at 11:10 AM on Aug. 3, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• First thing we did was only feed her a few pieces on her tray at a time. That way there isnt a bunch for her to throw on the floor. That works best for us. Another thing we do is her highchair has a removable tray on top of the regular tray so if she starts throwing thing son the floor we remove all the food till she settles down and is ready to eat again or get down becasue she is done. Obivously none of that has worked for you. I dont know what else to tell you. Wait till he is really hungry to feed him. Maybe remove him from play and spend a few minutes with a book before you try and feed him and it might make his transiition easier.
    navyjen

Answer by navyjen at 11:13 AM on Aug. 3, 2010

• As soon as the food throwing starts, their meal is over. It took one time of doing this and they got the message.

Answer by Bmat at 11:12 AM on Aug. 3, 2010

• At my house, throwing food gets your butt busted. So far, it's worked every time it's been tried.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 11:12 AM on Aug. 3, 2010

• Bump, when you figure this out, tell me! My Dd is 15 months old.. and started about 11 months old. We take the food away if she's bored and if she doesn't want the food, I tell her to stop and she usually does. But other than that... the whole drop it to see where it fell.. still amuses her..
    MomtoElliett

Answer by MomtoElliett at 11:12 AM on Aug. 3, 2010

• Another funny thing my daughter likes to drop food on the dogs back and laugh when it sticks. Yeah nice isnt it. I think its normal for them to do this.
    navyjen

Answer by navyjen at 11:14 AM on Aug. 3, 2010

• Take away the food. Really. Food is for eating, not throwing. Mealtime ends when throwing begins.
    aliceinalgonac

Answer by aliceinalgonac at 11:22 AM on Aug. 3, 2010

• I show my DD a place to put food she doesn't want- like on the side of the tray or in a cup on the tray. This sometimes helps keep the reject pile from ending up on the floor. I realize that doesn't help your other problems but thought itm ight help with at least one of them.
    MaryMW

Answer by MaryMW at 12:43 PM on Aug. 3, 2010