Why would kids who cannot swim play on a sandbar of a river that is known for swift currents?

http://www.shreveporttimes.com/article/20100803/NEWS01/8030324/6-teens-drown-in-the-Red-River

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:10 AM on Aug. 3, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• It is THE PARENTS FAULT!!!!!! They need to be sad. They allowed their precious kids top get into a KNOWN fast moving river to play UNSUPERVISED while knowing that NONE of them including parents could swim.

There is a spot nearby with dancing water that is free they could have been in. I can swim and so can my son....would I let him in the Red River in that area. HELL NO!!!!
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 11:31 AM on Aug. 3, 2010

• Regardless of how many parents were there, it was poor, unintelligent, and inadequate supervision that allowed this to happen.
    aliceinalgonac

Answer by aliceinalgonac at 11:32 AM on Aug. 3, 2010

• Lack of supervision is right. Just because parents were there doesn't mean they were being responsible and making good choices about supervising activities. Absolutely stupid.
    Gaccck

Answer by Gaccck at 11:36 AM on Aug. 3, 2010

• Why would kids do that? Because they weren't taught better, because they weren't supervised appropriately, because kids make poor decisions. Boils down to poor parenting.
    missingruth

Answer by missingruth at 11:38 AM on Aug. 3, 2010

• The parents, they did not do their job.
    errantmommy

Answer by errantmommy at 11:41 AM on Aug. 3, 2010

• Lack of supervision?
    3boysandmekmcd

Answer by 3boysandmekmcd at 11:12 AM on Aug. 3, 2010

• No common sense. It's a tragedy that lives were lost becuase of a LACK of common sense.... To play near a river when one can't swim ??? Parents who were there couldn't swim either??? OMG, just plain idiotic and stupid...
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 11:16 AM on Aug. 3, 2010

• Its very sad, I am sure they thought they were safe. Most kids/teens think nothing will happen to them

Im sure it was a horifying experience for the families

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 11:51 AM on Aug. 3, 2010

• Because kids do not have the brain cells to realize the dangers and their parents are stupid enough to care about the dangers that are out there that their kids can get into
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 11:52 AM on Aug. 3, 2010

• I asked the same damn thing this morning. Their parents couldn't swim either. Stupid.

I live in Shreveport. LOL Small world.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 11:12 AM on Aug. 3, 2010