Thomas or Tomas?

ok i know generally the english is thomas and tomas would be pronounced more like Toe-moss. but is tomas ever used pronounced in the english way? i want the pronunciation to be like tah-muss

i just like the spelling without the H. and it makes more sense to me since the nickname is always tommy or tom without the H. (not thommy lol) kwim?

my name is stefanie without the PH. ;)

But i also wouldn't want my child to have to constantly correct spelling/pronunciation.

i really like the name but i also know it's pretty common

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:18 AM on Aug. 3, 2010 in Baby Names

• Id defiantly just stick with Thomas!!!!!!
    jessran1218

Answer by jessran1218 at 11:22 AM on Aug. 3, 2010

• I like it with the "H". I think everyone would always pronounce it wrong the other way.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 11:22 AM on Aug. 3, 2010

• yaa i would stick with thomas....i think thats one of the most annoying things to have to deal with in life whenever EVERYONE is spelling, saying the name wrong..my name(Anna-Lisa) is always said wrong, spelled wrong, people never understand it..it drives me crazy!!!
    alexis_06

Answer by alexis_06 at 11:26 AM on Aug. 3, 2010

• they are 2 different names -
    Thomas : TAH-muhss
    Tomas : TOE-mahs
    if you spell it without the H then you and he will be correcting people for the rest of his life
    DarkFaery131

Answer by DarkFaery131 at 11:30 AM on Aug. 3, 2010

• First, spell it the way you like it. You can teach people to pronounce it the way you want it pronounced. If there's anything I hate more it's someone telling someone else you shouldn't be a little different because it might irritate other people. As long as you're not wanting it spelled Jzhomyz and expecting people to pronounce it like Thomas, you're doing ok.

Secondly, my brother's name is Thomas, but I kind of like the Tomas version better.

Now that's interesting...it means 'twin.' Never knew that, I'll have to tell my mom, LOL.
    thatgirl70

Answer by thatgirl70 at 11:40 AM on Aug. 3, 2010

• i don't see how tomas would make ppl think its pronoucned "toe-mas" when i saw it it still looked like thomas.. i think either way ppl would still know its "thomas" even if it's spelled the other way
    proudmommy690

Answer by proudmommy690 at 11:58 AM on Aug. 3, 2010

• I like Thomas
    Cassandre

Answer by Cassandre at 1:01 PM on Aug. 3, 2010

• Thomas - that's how to have it pronounced correctly. Otherwise, he's being set up for a lifetime of telling people they're pronouncing his name incorrectly when in fact they're not.
    aliceinalgonac

Answer by aliceinalgonac at 2:57 PM on Aug. 3, 2010

• I like "Tomas" - LOL, I would just say "Tah-mas' anyway because I'm southern and I have an accent. LOL. I like it without the "H" - but like everyone is saying, he'd spend his life saying "No, no 'H'" - I named my daughter NOAH and I get a lot of looks or if it's over the phone, they say "HE". I don't get offended (why would I? LOL, I would say "HE" too, if I didn't know).
    Blubuni99

Answer by Blubuni99 at 3:58 PM on Aug. 3, 2010

• I think names spelled differently (I have an arik -eric-) but I dunno... tomas just isn't doing it for me. But that's *just me*
    Good luck, either way!
    ToriBabe1221

Answer by ToriBabe1221 at 7:40 PM on Aug. 3, 2010