What did she mean by this?

i was suppose to graduate in 1990,but due to my homelife and my mom marrying a man who just got out of prison for raping a woman with Downs,School was not on my list of priorities my Freshman year,so I skipped alot,resulting in my having to repeat that year. Anywho,the 1990 20th high school reunion is on the 21st. A girl I went to school with pulled some strings and got me invited to it,even though I'm a 1991 gal. She went ahead and paid my fee,$30,and then when I asked her for her address to pay her back,she told me to pay her whatever I could afford,or not at all. Do you think she thinks I'm a poor gal who can't afford it,or was she just trying to be nice,or something else? My 1st reaction was to think she felt sorry for me and thought I was so poor I couldn't pay her back. But that could be a knee jerk reaction on my part.

Asked by butterflyblue19 at 11:21 AM on Aug. 3, 2010 in Just for Fun

• IDK.. I would take it that she thinks she has more money than you & you couldn't afford it.
    SuperrMommyy

Answer by SuperrMommyy at 11:26 AM on Aug. 3, 2010

• It doesn't really matter what she meant by it. She wants you to be there and she made it happen. Thank her profusely, pay her whatever you feel comfortable paying her, and forget it.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 11:27 AM on Aug. 3, 2010

• I think she's just trying to be nice.
    DarkFaery131

Answer by DarkFaery131 at 11:23 AM on Aug. 3, 2010

• She probably just didn't want to ask for the money back since she paid for you on her own without you asking her to. I think she's just being nice. I wouldn't assume she thinks you can't afford the $30.
    Desi_Momof4

Answer by Desi_Momof4 at 11:24 AM on Aug. 3, 2010

• Just say thank you and pay her back as soon as you can. If that is now, then do it now. I say things like that when it isn't urgent I get the money back quickly. It isn't about the person, it is about me. She did something nice for you. She isn't "putting your feet to the fire" to get her money back. Sounds like someone who is a friend to me.
    jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 11:24 AM on Aug. 3, 2010

• she just trying to be nice,
    fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 11:26 AM on Aug. 3, 2010

• I think she was trying to be nice.

I would not jump the gun so quickly, just take it day by day, if she constantly talks like that too you then you tell her how uncomfortable that makes you feel.

Other wise I would let it go. It is most likely innocent. :)
    KFree907

Answer by KFree907 at 11:27 AM on Aug. 3, 2010

• I think she was trying to be nice, nothing implied, you seem to have a chip on your shoulder, there is also no disgrace in being poor.

Answer by older at 11:23 AM on Aug. 3, 2010

• She was probably just being nice.
    PoisonousBlonde

Answer by PoisonousBlonde at 11:23 AM on Aug. 3, 2010

• I don't have a chip on my shoulder,and I'm not poor! i think she's basing her opinion of me from the girl I was at 18.

Comment by butterflyblue19 (original poster) at 11:25 AM on Aug. 3, 2010