Does it bother you when...

You're reading a news article (online or in the newspaper), and the journalist who wrote the story didn't even bother to check their grammar or punctuation?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:33 AM on Aug. 3, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• I wouldn't say that it bothers me, but it seems very unprofessional.
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 11:34 AM on Aug. 3, 2010

• OMG yes, that is one of my BIGGEST pet peeves... probably cause i worked in the newspaper all through highschool and i was an editor, plus i just hate bad grammar/punctuation, and how freakin easy is spell check?! i've been able to ignore it more since FB and CM and messageboards and stuff cause i know not everyone has good grammar and i make mistakes too, but to see it in print or online from a professional news company really bugs me still :P
    DreainCO

Answer by DreainCO at 11:36 AM on Aug. 3, 2010

• not really it bothers me more when they dont get there facts straight or seem very unsympathetic
    Truelove77

Answer by Truelove77 at 11:39 AM on Aug. 3, 2010

• Yes, because if they don't do those basic things then how can we assume they have been careful with their research? It goes hand in hand.
    stacymomof2

Answer by stacymomof2 at 11:43 AM on Aug. 3, 2010

• Oh, yes. As a journalism major, you take English and grammar. I know that print journalist are restricted to a certain numbers of words, space, or columns, but click that "spell check" option. It corrects more than spelling. It corrects grammar and there is a thesaurus feature. That comes in handy too.
    jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 12:13 PM on Aug. 3, 2010

• Yes. They are journalists so it is implied that you should have a grasp of spelling and punctuation. I always thought that was a given. I also thought they have editors to make sure things are correct. Every now and then something slips through the cracks. I know when I edit my husband's papers for school, his paper is bleeding by the time I am finished with it.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 12:18 PM on Aug. 3, 2010

• I know a couple of my favorite authors have done it but by the time you get halfway through the book you don't even care. But for a newspaper article, you want to get your facts from the story without having to correct their grammar. lol
    GinNTonic

Answer by GinNTonic at 12:24 PM on Aug. 3, 2010

• I'd say the editor for the publication was asleep at the wheel ...
    tasches

Answer by tasches at 12:30 PM on Aug. 3, 2010

• yes....occasionally it will happen. but I really get annoyed when people at CM are too lazy to check their posts for errors and use TEXT words. Soooooo immature.
    gertie41

Answer by gertie41 at 12:44 PM on Aug. 3, 2010

• Yes, and it bothers me on CM as well. I become especially bothered by the posts that bash teachers but the posters can't be bothered to spell check or use proper grammar.
    Youngwifey2

Answer by Youngwifey2 at 1:38 PM on Aug. 3, 2010