How does a single mom of 3 mangage to make it on her own?

With only one in school and two still in diapers?
With only enough work experience and education to make a maximum of $13.00 an hour...at the MOST.
With the outlook on childsupport not so good because the father doesnt make that much money and he has other children to support as well?
I just don't understand how one can make it?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:42 AM on Aug. 3, 2010 in Parenting Debate

• I was a single mom of 3. The only reason I stayed in the marriage so long was because I didn't think I could do it. I got a job, went back to school, and did what I had to do to make things better for myself and my kids. As a mom, you do what you have to do.

Answer by missanc at 4:10 PM on Aug. 3, 2010

• I was a single mom of 2-- one in pullups.. made $9.00 an hour..
    No child support.. I made it =)

Get government help.♥
    SuperrMommyy

Answer by SuperrMommyy at 11:44 AM on Aug. 3, 2010

• I am not in that situation, I was a single mom of 1 at one point but it takes a very strong willed woman to make things work. It is easy to give up and life will be tough but it can be done. Some people may not agree with the use of PA but it's there to help families such as the one on this question, sometimes there's just not enough resources to make it and you need a little push, that's what the help is there for.

LuvmyFam6

Answer by LuvmyFam6 at 11:46 AM on Aug. 3, 2010

• I have been asking myself that question for the 7 yrs Ive been a single parent. IDK,,,somehow and someway, you just do. The more you do it, the more you get stronger about it. I have never applies for the lunch program at school. My dd just went on a camping trip with church and somehow I managed to cover the whole thing and not ask for a scholorship for her. You just get up and you go cause you've got kids who are counting on you.
    beyondhopes

Answer by beyondhopes at 11:47 AM on Aug. 3, 2010

• I was a single mom with two, you can do it... It is just hard, and you have to be strong.

I recieved help for child care, food and diapers. When you have children you will do what you have to do to survive, was I proud oh hell no but my kids had what they needed and I didn't get any extras and I ate what I could which meant alot of oddles of noodles but my kids ate well. I am now a single mom of 4 but their father treats all my kids like they are his. We still love each other, and pray we get back together but right now it does not seem that way.
    KFree907

Answer by KFree907 at 11:49 AM on Aug. 3, 2010

• I agree with the above post, there's no shame in getting government help when you really need it. What about finding out if YOU can get help to go to school, maybe take a few online classes, even if it took a little longer to get a degree, it could lead to possibly career for you when all your kids are in school.
    nicksmommy1000

Answer by nicksmommy1000 at 11:51 AM on Aug. 3, 2010

• Seriously, I have no idea. I can't imagine how hard that would be. I give single moms a lot of credit.
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 11:53 AM on Aug. 3, 2010

• I wanted to add that my kids and I lived in a one bedrm appt for two years. My son and I slept on couches in the livingroom. There was no privacy at all. I look back on those days now and wonder how the hell we did that. We are in a two bedrm now and each of my kids have a room, I sleep on the couch downstairs. Someday I know I will have my own room again, but for right now it really is all about the kids. You make sacrifices, you get assistance where you need it, you juggle bills like a circus clown, you talk to creditors and you tell yourself that this isnt forever.
    beyondhopes

Answer by beyondhopes at 12:05 PM on Aug. 3, 2010

• I was a single mom of two and it took a whole lot of strength and creative living and when it was all said and done it was a good time for me I grew up in that time period now I know anything is possible.
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 12:10 PM on Aug. 3, 2010