Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

3 Bumps

Small claims court question

If boyfriend kicked you out of apartment (name was not on lease) and then refuses to let you get the rest of your stuff can I take him to small claims? Should I send a registered letter to him asking for the return of my things first? I've heard that this may help also.

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 11:47 AM on Aug. 3, 2010 in Money & Work

Answers (9)
  • Sure, you can file a small claims case against him. I believe it's monetary though, so you'd have to have a dollar amount. Just call up to the court house and ask them.

    Answer by m-avi at 11:48 AM on Aug. 3, 2010

  • Yes you can get your stuff back. Send him a letter because it looks better if you guys need to go to mediation. If he doesnt respond to that take him to small claims court.

    Answer by SultryLadyBug at 11:49 AM on Aug. 3, 2010

  • Small claims isnt just monetary the court can order a sheriff to allow him to retrieve your things.

    Answer by SultryLadyBug at 11:50 AM on Aug. 3, 2010

  • How long were you living there? You might have squatters rights - eventhough your name is not on the lease.

    Answer by nicksmommy1000 at 11:54 AM on Aug. 3, 2010

  • The only thing he has to legally give you is your clothing. You must show proof of ownership for everything else (receipts proving YOU purchased with your own money) before you can get the rest of your belongings. Anything that you can not provide proof of ownership for, there is really nothing you can do about it.. Other than hope he feels nice about it. The police can NOT tell him to give you that stuff. Possession is nine tenths of the law unfortunately.

    Answer by xxlilmomma09 at 11:54 AM on Aug. 3, 2010

  • You should have called the cops and told them you just want to get your stuff, usually they would assist you. Otherwise you will have to take him to court, hope you have proof, reciepts paid with credit card for the stuff you purchased.

    Answer by KFree907 at 12:13 PM on Aug. 3, 2010

  • You can call the cops and they will help you get all your personal items right way. the rest you will have to go to small claims for!!


    Answer by Morgain at 12:22 PM on Aug. 3, 2010

  • ... oh and in small claims it's your word against his, so whoever is more believable is likely to win... watch a lot of judge Judy and you will see


    Answer by Morgain at 12:25 PM on Aug. 3, 2010

  • Small claims can take a while, it might work but I would call the cops first or else it could be months before you get your stuff back.

    Answer by newmomma14 at 7:37 PM on Aug. 3, 2010

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.