My DD won't take a nap

My husband was on vacation last week and my DD refused to take a nap the whole week. Now it's just her and I am she still won't nap. I try to put her down and lay next to her, but it doesn't work, she fights and fights for an hour. She's so tired by 7pm, should I put her to bed then and lose the nap forever? What do I do? She's 14 months old, isn't that too early to stop napping?

kaylan010

Asked by kaylan010 at 11:49 AM on Aug. 3, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I think it is too early for no nap and maybe just a phase she is in. Maybe wake her early for a few days to help her be tired by her normal nap time. Is she not in her crib anymore? Because if she is in a crib then I would put her in and if she cries come back every few minutes to comfort briefly but let her know it is nap time and she needs to rest. I often give books to my DD in her crib so she can read to settle herself down some and even if she doesn't sleep it keeps her quiet and gives her a rest anyway. If she is in a bed then I would lay with her a bit and then tell her it is nap time and she needs to rest and go out, if she gets out of bed put her back and tell her she needs to stay there until you come get her. Be gentle but firm and consistent. To me, the nap or rest time is a good break for everybody. Even older kids can use a little quiet time to read and rest quietly and heaven knows Mama's need a rest too. GL.
    MaryMW

Answer by MaryMW at 11:54 AM on Aug. 3, 2010

• When she is noticably sleepy roack her for a few minutes or do your normal pre nap routine. Then I would put her in her crib and pat her back for a few mintues. Leave the room and let her cry. Chances are she wont cry longer than a couple minutes since she is sleepy and then you can have a nap too. If 5 minutes passes and she is screaming go in tell her to lay down and pat her back again. Repeat the process....But 14 month olds still need naps. Mine does for sure.
    navyjen

Answer by navyjen at 11:59 AM on Aug. 3, 2010

• my 20 month old still needs naps she gets grouchy still.id probally say its to early espeically if she gets grouchy.they need naps ive heard up until 2
    photogrypher

Answer by photogrypher at 12:16 PM on Aug. 3, 2010

• Maybe its just a phase of some type.. my son stopped 2 naps at 13 months and stopped 1 nap at 2 years old... he's very active and won't lay down for anything without kicking around and squirming. So I do put him to bed at 7/8 and that usually is best, now if he does take a nap for some reason, he'll be up til11pm.. no way...
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 1:20 PM on Aug. 3, 2010

• I was faced with the same problem this summer. My daughter, two, refuses to nap. So we've knocked out nap time and brought bedtime down to 7 or 7:30pm. I think it's worked well for us.. If you can get past the afternoon grumpies. lol Usually about dinner time (5-ish) she starts to get really cranky... But going to sleep at bedtime has never been easier, either.
    nytefae

Answer by nytefae at 2:22 PM on Aug. 3, 2010