How do you handle the stress of major life changes without having panic attacks?

My family and I thought that we were settled... in the process of purchasing the house we live in and at the last minute lost it. My spouse's job isn't doing well so we are now having to transfer. My in-laws are having serious physical and financial issues due to a resent car accident and need our help. Did I mention they 13 hours away from us?! All in a weeks work! I feel that everything is falling into places for us to go there to help them, yet falling apart at these time. School starts this week there, but we can't leave here until the transfer finalizes...so I will also be homeschooling this year on top of everything else... when will I get the chance to breathe again? Anyway, I haven't had a panic attack in years, but last night I couldn't stop myself... I have tried everything... grr... I try to make it fun for my family like we are going on an adventure and I guess I just finally broke. Help!

brysonsmommie84

Asked by brysonsmommie84 at 11:53 AM on Aug. 3, 2010 in General Parenting

• One day at a time mom, little steps, dealing with everything at once can do this, put priorities in their place and take them one day at a time.

Answer by older at 11:56 AM on Aug. 3, 2010

• my panic attacks usually stop when i remind myself I'm just having a panic attack... i'll take a shower and pray, call someone I trust to try and talk through it...
    if you tried all your usual methods and its not getting better you might want to ask your doctor about it. they can prescribe something to get you through this rough spot and you don't have to take it forever or anything.
    elizabiza

Answer by elizabiza at 11:58 AM on Aug. 3, 2010

• I have a cocktail or two, i have sex, i go for long walks by myself, i try to keep thinking of things i am grateful for, i get lost in books & movies, i bitch to a good friend who will listen, i cook lots of yummy food & deserts & eat it until i my heart's content, I play games with my DD & enjoy the smiles on her face, i play my banjo & get lost in it, i go listen to live music with my DH, I'll do some arts & crafts. There are lots of things that i find to do when i am stressed, or feel anxiety coming on. There are too many things in this life to be enjoyed to focus on the negatives.

samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 11:59 AM on Aug. 3, 2010

• Try to take one day at a time, sometimes it's hard for us to realize that we can only do and change so much at a time. I have a problem with my own advice. it is true what they say though..when it rains it pours. I've had a few occurences in the last 3 years that have made me feel how you are feeling now, I have to tell myself every day that I can only work on today, tomorrow is another day. Try to get a grip on the things you have control over and start planning, I hope things will work out for you, I am really sorry to hear about your situation.
    LuvmyFam6

Answer by LuvmyFam6 at 12:02 PM on Aug. 3, 2010

• I don't handling them with out having a panic attack! I am one of those people that doesn't take well to change. Yeah, I deal with it the best I can but it doesn't mean I like it.
    lil_Army_Wife05

Answer by lil_Army_Wife05 at 12:20 PM on Aug. 3, 2010

• I've literally had to train myself to not think about the things that stress me out. It's not always good to simply forget about your problems but when you know the difference between things you can and cannot change you need to find a way to teach yourself to really just say F it and focus on something else. Sometimes even little tricks work like "shaking" the thoughts out of your head. Find what works for you. Just make sure nobody is looking lol.

If you do have a panic attack, find the best way to calm yourself down and stick to it. This may sound weird but when I do have an anxiety attack I run. I HATE to run but when I'm panicking I feel like I can't breathe and the walls are closing in on me and I just need to run away. So I do. Usually by the time I get to the end of the block I've lost my breath but it helps me to focus on breathing. Luckily it's been years since I've felt like that! Cuz I really hate to run lol.
    jessicarae787

Answer by jessicarae787 at 12:24 PM on Aug. 3, 2010

• Like the other moms said, take each day one at a time. God isn't going to give you anything that you cannot handle. Sometimes I know that it gets overwhelming but just keep your head up and your feet planted and all will work out as it should in the end. If you feel you are getting to a breaking point, I would lean on family and friends to maybe take a break for a little while. It's amazing what a nice pedicure, hair cut or even just getting out of the house by yourself will do to ease your mind!
    BillieJean0401

Answer by BillieJean0401 at 12:35 PM on Aug. 3, 2010

• I haven't had panic attacks since my dh's last deployment years ago. I just wanted to give you some support about home schooling. I know it seems like a large on taking, but find your curriculum, know the laws and regulations for your area and enjoy the freedom of home schooling. I was a care giver as well, you need to make sure you get some down time or it will affect your health. GL
    Austinsmom35

Answer by Austinsmom35 at 8:25 PM on Aug. 3, 2010

• Thanks for all the support! I am finally 98% of the way done with packing and the boxes lying around are still stressful, but st least it is all ready to go. My spouse is still waiting for an official start date.... the waiting is hard hopefully it will all be over soon...
    brysonsmommie84

Comment by brysonsmommie84 (original poster) at 12:17 AM on Aug. 8, 2010