Sleep apnea?

Anyone have a child with it? What is it?

momof3inTN

Asked by momof3inTN at 12:02 PM on Aug. 3, 2010 in Kids' Health

• I have it. There are two kinds: obstructive (caused by obesity or swollen tonsils and adenoids) and central (caused by a neurological problem.) I have the latter. I take a drug for altitude sickness which helps. It's called Diamox. It certainly beats using a c-pap machine! Only problem with it is that you CANNOT drink carbonated beverages of ANY kind!
    plclemo

Answer by plclemo at 12:54 PM on Aug. 3, 2010

• I dont have a child with it but my fil has it. I believe, not 100%, that its were the person stops breathing while sleeping. It is a very serious condition and usually happens in overweight people. I would google it if need to know more
    SabrenaLeigh

Answer by SabrenaLeigh at 12:05 PM on Aug. 3, 2010

• My 3rd had it. Her daddy, his dad, and my dad all had it too. It when, for some reason, you stop breathing multiple times at night, resulting in poor sleep and being tired and cranky all the time due to lack of good sleep. My DD didn't show signs til she was about 2.5-3, then when she was about 3yrs 8mos old it finally dawned on me. We went to her normal doc who had no problem referring us to an ENT who said without a doubt she had problems - didn't even do a sleep test because she could see how DD's tonsils & adenoids were too big for her and cutting off her air supply. Had a T&A done 3 days before her 4th birthday (over a year ago) and she's been doing wonderfully since then.
    4time-mom

Answer by 4time-mom at 12:05 PM on Aug. 3, 2010

• Its when you stop breathing at night for a few seconds.. it wakes you up all night, which results in you being very tired and cranky. A sleep test can be preformed to see if that is what going on.. if so, a machine will be used to provide oxygen all night.
    MKSers

Answer by MKSers at 12:12 PM on Aug. 3, 2010

• I had it as a kid because my tonsils and adnoids were too big. It didn't wake me up, but my mom could hear me choking and gasping for air all the way down the hall. It just means that something is blocking the airway while you sleep.
    SamanthaAgain

Answer by SamanthaAgain at 12:17 PM on Aug. 3, 2010

• Thanks everyone! I did do a google search which is why I came here to ask. I was getting confused and lost with the search.
    momof3inTN

Comment by momof3inTN (original poster) at 12:56 PM on Aug. 3, 2010

• My (then) 2 year old had it. Turned out her tonsils and adenoids were ENORMOUS. She had them removed at 2 1/2 and she hasn't had an episode since :)
    mainemusicmaker

Answer by mainemusicmaker at 7:09 AM on Aug. 7, 2010