no tears

my 1 week new baby has no tears and has had some puss on and off .....ive even let her cry it out for a little to see if any arises?why could this be?

photogrypher

Asked by photogrypher at 12:14 PM on Aug. 3, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My kids had that too. I forget if it was a clogged tear duct or the tears take a while before they come in. It is normal. Take a warm wet cloth to clean the puss.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 12:16 PM on Aug. 3, 2010

• Babies don't cry tears til they're older - I was told 11 weeks but my 4 varied between 4-8 weeks the first time they cried tears.
    4time-mom

Answer by 4time-mom at 12:15 PM on Aug. 3, 2010

• my dd only cried tears out of one eye until she was about a year old...then the both of them were crying tears!
    mommylisar

Answer by mommylisar at 12:16 PM on Aug. 3, 2010

• It sounds a lot like when I had my 1st dd. Her tear ducts were blocked/clogged. It lasted about 5 months. Its not that bad unless they get to a year and then the doctor just pokes it with a needle to unblock it. I would discuss this with your doctor.
    SabrenaLeigh

Answer by SabrenaLeigh at 12:16 PM on Aug. 3, 2010

• It may be clogged tear ducts. Use a wet,warm,clean wash cloth to wipe the eyes often.
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 12:17 PM on Aug. 3, 2010

• My son is five months old, and still only sometimes gets tears. I was so worried about it at first, and now when he DOES get them, it breaks my heart. :) his doctor said that he. Is saving them for a girlfriend.
    The puss may be a sign of clogged tear ducts. Hold a warm compress over his eyes a few times a day. It could get worse befoe it gets better, but don't worry, its a sign of everything draining out.
    Best of luck!
    GingerMom33

Answer by GingerMom33 at 12:44 PM on Aug. 3, 2010