Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

1 Bump

interstate overnights.

My daughters father lives out of state and he never wanted me to go for support and i did but to make a long story short he wants over nights. i said no because he has skipped seeing her on numerous times. bounts in months. i just wanted it legaly documented that i will have her returned to me at a schedule time and place and he fighting me on this. anyone else have this similar situation? how did you work out out of state overnights. i say that she is too young. i have consulted a lawyer and i have a good case to ask for no overnights right now.
she is 16months old and whenever i have traveled to that state i have told him and he has not seen her when i have told him alot of times.
i am not keeping him from over nights just need the paper to protect myself and my child.

Answer Question

Asked by lambdarose at 12:17 PM on Aug. 3, 2010 in General Parenting

Level 22 (14,088 Credits)
Answers (4)
  • I think you are doing it the right way but having a court order establishing pick up/drop off times for your daughter. She's still very young. Is he wanting to make this arrangement with you without going through the courts? I suggest you put the ball back on his court, if he wants over night have him request visitation modification through the court and you can both state your case and let the judge decide what is best for your child as far as parenting time. You mentioned that he has not kept the agreement in force currently regarding visitation that may work on your behalf when you protest his request. Good luck.


    Answer by LuvmyFam6 at 12:22 PM on Aug. 3, 2010

  • In these cases it always best to cover your a$$....You need to have an attorney put it in wiritng, and go before a judge. Having it in writing is always best when it comes to children and their best interests... Tell him you want to have the visitation in writing, and if he has a problem with it he needs to consult an attorney.

    Answer by MrsLeftlane at 12:24 PM on Aug. 3, 2010

  • You need to go to court and get firm visitation in place. Depending on the situation, the court may order overnights. If they do, follow the court order to the letter. It sounds like he'd blow off the visitation anyway - which is good documentation for taking him back to court later.

    Answer by Scuba at 12:27 PM on Aug. 3, 2010

  • well yeah we never did it in writing he wanted everything not to go to court. but when he started with the over nights she was stil an infant. he will ask for over nights and i will state my case. i went for support and he got upset and stated back months and months ago that he will go to the courts. well he never did. i will wait until i get my paper. i just want to protect my child that is all. thanks. the right decisions are usually the difficult ones.

    Comment by lambdarose (original poster) at 12:28 PM on Aug. 3, 2010

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.