HELP!

I am trying to breastfeed and my son is almost a month old, I asked questions before and got some great advice. Someone told me to try nipple shields. I tried but he only latches on for no more than 10 mins. then he gets frustrated and will not stop crying. I don't produce enough milk still, and he's getting most of his food from formula. I am in dire need of some help. It is so hard and frustrating. I am about to give up on trying to breastfeed and just stick to formula. Any advice?

aserran4

Asked by aserran4 at 4:25 PM on Oct. 4, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Be patient and keep doing what your doing. See a breastfeeding specialist if you feel its necessary. It will really help. Aslo try pumping right before his feeding to help bring on the flow. Good luck!
    Steph319

Answer by Steph319 at 4:29 PM on Oct. 4, 2008

• Go buy the herb fenugreek, it works. It helps up your milk supply. Also, mother's milk tea is supposed to be good. Just keep sticking him on your boob, it's all about supply and demand, good luck
    amyofthejungle

Answer by amyofthejungle at 4:32 PM on Oct. 4, 2008

• I will probably get alot of flack about this but alot of doctors say to have a beer or a glass of wine just before breast feeding. One glass only! It will help you to relax so that your milk will let down. Also drink lots of non-alcoholic liquids!
    amydh

Answer by amydh at 4:34 PM on Oct. 4, 2008

• Alcohol does not help your let down
    Anonymous

• stop with the formula and just breastfeed him like the other mom said its all abou t supply and demand
    Anonymous

• the hopps in beer does help with the production of milk. you can use non-alcoholic beers. just make sure they are high in hopps. there is also a tea called Mothers Milk.
    jcsscfam5

Answer by jcsscfam5 at 4:45 PM on Oct. 4, 2008

• First of all, I just want to say that I have been there and I understand your frustration. However, don't let anyone bully you into doing something that you don't want to do, or that you think would not be beneficial for YOUR child. Children that receive bottles or pacifiers are less likely to latch. Honestly, bottles are less work for them. If you still want him to have BM, but he won't latch, you can pump whatever milk you have and put that in a bottle. Also, if you pump as often as he eats, and pump until you're empty, then your body will naturally start making more milk. I know that pumping is a pain in the ass, but sometimes it's the only option. Good luck and if you need to talk or just need support, feel free to PM me.
    KaroGreenly

Answer by KaroGreenly at 5:16 PM on Oct. 4, 2008

• I agree that you should try this...stop all formula nurse as much and as often as he will, offer every 2 hours if he goes that long. NO formula no bottles and count diapers. YOur baby needs 6-8 wet or messy ones a day and a VERY wet disposable is equal to 2 diapers. LOTS of mom think that fussiness and nursing constantly mean low supply and they don't. Don't underestimate yourself and your body. Just try 48 hours of nothing but you and your milk, your baby won't starve. The more a baby nurses the more you make. Drink 60 oz of liquid a day and eat some oatmeal too. More formula equal less milk, I swear, if you wanna nurse cut the supplements and check supply.
    tabi_cat1023

Answer by tabi_cat1023 at 5:49 PM on Oct. 4, 2008

• Nipple sheilds can also reduce your milk supply. I know it's such a challenge in the beginning to get the nursing down, but keep with it. It's totally worth it! I would see a lactation consultant and nurse and pump a lot. As long as baby is wetting diapers, he's getting enough. Good luck!
    cschwanger

Answer by cschwanger at 10:01 PM on Oct. 4, 2008

• PUMP!!!!!!!!!!
    Even when you are not nursing! Even if you only get an ounce at a time. If you continue to pump your milk with increase.
    Also, try nursing and as soon as he gets fussy, give the bottle. But try to nurse everytime before the bottle. He will come to learn that he needs to nurse before bottle. Once your milk comes in more, he will get fuller and fuller from the breast and not need the bottle as much. Also I don't know if you have them where you live, but we have lactation consultants here, they are awesome!
    If this is something that you are commited to... invest in a good Medina pump... (I think thats the brand name) the one in the walmart and target stores are not that great of quality and are only for occassional use. You need to pump at least every 2 hrs....... Happy Nursing!
    Anonymous