Anyone been through this? adult content

I'll make this as short as possible. I worked at a restaurant on and off for 1.5 years. On 08/23 my boss and I got into an arguement where he cursed at me because I asked to make a phone call. I chose to leave. The Sunday after that he came to my house and asked me to come back to work. As inappropriate as it was, I said yes, because I have two kids to support. Well on 08/30 I was working and he gave me my money for that week and said for me to go on home. I asked "For good?" He said yeah it just wasn't working out any more. So I said okay and asked him for my other paycheck that he owed me. He said he doesn't owe me anything. I know for a fact, and he knows it too, that he owes me but I have no way of proving this. He is the one who controls our time sheet and the paychecks. So I guess I'm screwed on that. But I know he fired me because I got married. I have a text message from him where he asks me not to get married CONT....

dmdblleb

Asked by dmdblleb at 12:52 PM on Aug. 3, 2010 in Money & Work

• He is USING you honey... if you don't put a stop to it then he is going to pull this same routine on the next unsuspecting girl/woman that comes to work for him. :( Please talk to a lawyer and don't let him do this to you or anyone else.

Also report him to the Better Business Bureau if he is listed.

Congrats on your new marriage! :)
    Memigen

Answer by Memigen at 1:07 PM on Aug. 3, 2010

• I would consult with a lawyer ASAP. You are entitled to your money and potentially more than that now that he has crossed these lines.
    Memigen

Answer by Memigen at 12:55 PM on Aug. 3, 2010

• A girl I worked as a wiatress was having an affair with the owner (proprietor) and when he ended the relationship she talked to a lawyer and sued for sexual harassment...even though she had sex willingly with him she won 375,000 in a settlement and the company did not renew his proprietor liscense and his wife left him....so in your case the innapropriate action had nothing to do with you only him so i would talk to a lawyer ASAP because you deserve something.
    shortleo

Answer by shortleo at 12:59 PM on Aug. 3, 2010

• Yeah, I would talk to a lawyer and see what all you can do. You have a right to your money and your former boss could get into big trouble.
    poptart0325

Answer by poptart0325 at 12:59 PM on Aug. 3, 2010

• and he says that he loves me. He has also told a coworker that he begged me not to get married and that I was supposed to marry him. I put up with A LOT of sexual harrassment from him. Not because it was welcome but because I needed the job to support my children. There's a lot of circumstances surrounding my not being able to look for another job. But now, I'm pissed. I feel like I put up with way too much shit for him to fuck me out of my money. What business can I report him to? He owns the company so there's no higher up I can report him to.
    dmdblleb

Comment by dmdblleb (original poster) at 1:00 PM on Aug. 3, 2010

• I would talk to someone in your human resources group about this. It sounds like he discriminated against you and you have proof with the text message. I work in HR in my company. Although you say he handles the time sheets, I would assume you have witnesses that saw you working on the days he owes you pay. You could get written statements from them as well when you go to HR or upper management.
    tabarker76

Answer by tabarker76 at 4:43 PM on Aug. 3, 2010

• There is no HR. When I worked there, there was me, him, his mom, the other woman who knows about what went on, and MAYBE one or two other employees. He's very cheap and doesn't like to pay for help, hence his mother working there.
    I don't know the exact dates that he owes me for, but I know he knows because at one point in his office he had that time sheet apart from the others.
    I'm going to talk to my husband about contacting a lawyer. I know I'm not the first girl/woman he's sexually harassed. That's the main reason we couldn't keep another cashier.
    dmdblleb

Comment by dmdblleb (original poster) at 4:50 PM on Aug. 3, 2010

• Oh and thank you memigen :)
    dmdblleb

Comment by dmdblleb (original poster) at 4:52 PM on Aug. 3, 2010

• Talk to your labor board to lear your rights as well.
    luv2laaf

Answer by luv2laaf at 5:32 PM on Aug. 3, 2010