What do I do when my son cries after I take something away?

He is 5 1/2 months old. He pulls my hair. I make him stop and he cries. Same goes for anything that I take away.

NewArrival

Asked by NewArrival at 4:28 PM on Oct. 4, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• NO! I think you need to be careful about what your teaching. I think at 5 1/2 months babies have very sincere needs of feeling safe and we teach them this by being responsive and attentive. But my daughter used to pull my hair and pinch my nipples when bf (sorry if that was too much info but it hurt!). I would just take her hand away and so no. She learned to stop doing those things.
    jcsscfam5

Answer by jcsscfam5 at 1:21 AM on Oct. 6, 2008

• Redirect baby's attention. Give him a silky to rub or something similar.

mama_l

Answer by mama_l at 4:29 PM on Oct. 4, 2008

• That was a great answer! My daughter just turned 15months. We have always redirected her attention but now that she is older it doesn't always work. Yesterday she kept asking for cookies and I said no and tried to make something else sound fun. She started crying and threw such a fit! She cried for about one minute and then found something else to play with. I don't think it is mean. If I give her cookies before breakfast now, I can't imagine what that would turn into!
    jcsscfam5

Answer by jcsscfam5 at 4:42 PM on Oct. 4, 2008

• Don't give it back to him, it'll teach him that if he cries, he'll get what he wants. Just act like it's not a big deal
    Anonymous

• Is 5 1/2 months old too young to teach him that?
    NewArrival

Answer by NewArrival at 7:32 PM on Oct. 4, 2008