Has anyone dealt with failure to thrive?

My son had his 1 yr physical on Friday and was told her has failure to thrive. He is only 18lbs 2 oz and 26.5 inches long. He was born at 7lbs 7 oz and 20.5 inches long on his due date. He was growing just fine until he was 6 months when he pretty much stopped. at 6 months he was 26.25 inches and weighed17 lbs 8 oz. at 9 months he was 17 lbs 10 oz and 26.25 inches. No change when they checked him at 10 months. At 11 months he was 17lbs 10 and 26.25 inches. We have an appt with the children's hospital here in Madison at the end of this month. I am not sure what will happen. If anyone has dealt with this what happened or helped ? Thanks

jombmomi

Asked by jombmomi at 12:59 PM on Aug. 3, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I read about it in one of my textbooks for endocrinlogy but not all causes are the endocrine system. The specialist they send you to will check that as well as diet or an chromosomal abnormalities...some cases are easy to correct and some are not...here's a website that explains it pretty straightforward...best wishes....
    https://health.google.com/health/ref/Failure+to+thrive
    shortleo

Answer by shortleo at 1:02 PM on Aug. 3, 2010

• He'll have extensive testing for several diseases,genetic disorders. My cousin's baby has FTT. Of course in HER case it was deemed neglect. he was disease free.

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 1:04 PM on Aug. 3, 2010

• Yes, we went through this. My daughter was diagnoised when she was about 2 months old. She had lost the usual weight babies lose after birth but wasn't gaining anything back. We had to take her for a blood test and we also had to supplement with formula. If that didn't work, she was going to have to be hospitalized. Thankfully, supplementing with formula worked. Turns out I wasn't producing enough breastmilk to keep an infant healthy. It was very scary when we were going through it. PM if you want to talk.
    HotMama330

Answer by HotMama330 at 1:05 PM on Aug. 3, 2010

• My little guy has a failure to thrive diagnosis. He was diagnosed at 4 months though, so I would assume that things are probably different since he is younger. He lost weight between his 2 month and 4 month visits. Then would gain a couple of ounces and then lose them. They started with changing around his formulas because he was spitting up so much. Then they added reflux meds which helped control the spitting up. Since he was still losing/gaining/losing/gaining, they did some blood work. He was diagnosed with renal tubular acidosis and was put on another med. He is finally gaining some weight pretty steadily now.

It sounds like the MD is at least trying to get some things figured out. It is a little weird to me that he waited 6 months, but hopefully the specialist will be able to figure it out. Good luck!!
    mupt02

Answer by mupt02 at 9:32 PM on Aug. 3, 2010