Do you have a teen step daughter that seems a little too close to dad? Or is it normal for them to be that way?

Shes 15 and theyve always been close since Ive known them.She still lays on him.Every time she calls he goes outside to talk with her in private.When she is here, she follows him around and they talk like its a big secret.If he even gets up to go to the bathroom,she'll get up and follow him and wait for him to come out.
Its nothing to do with me, so don't say that! I have a good relationship with her too.Although she doesnt follow me around,lol.
I was never like that with my father.Is this how some teen girls just are with thier dads?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:03 PM on Aug. 3, 2010 in Teens (13-17)

• I'm guessing it may be normal because I was always like that with my mom (and still can be at times). I am just more comfortable around her than anywhere else. As far as talking on the phone some poeple just prefer to talk in a quiet setting or if you are talking to someone who gets aggrivated with background noise maybe you would go to a quiet area to talk to show them respect.
    Memigen

Answer by Memigen at 3:00 PM on Aug. 3, 2010

• I had a step dd once upon a time, she is 26 now. To start, there is a special relationship between father and daughter. A daughter forms her opinions about men, by the relationship she had with her dad. Very important bond. Plus, dd doesnt live with you and only gets to see her dad at certain times and days, which really isnt very much. My step dd used to spend time with her dad, rubbing his back. Ex loved backrubs and it gave them time to bond and talk alone. Maybe she needs some one on one with him. My dad used to call our dates,,,"prunes"..a cute way of saying we where going to spend quality time together. Maybe he can take hre to a movie, alone. The bathroom thing hits me as a little wierd though. I know of no man who appreciates anyone standing outside the bathroom door when they are busy inside. He needs to speak up if he is bothered by this. I think she just needs the reminder that he is going to always be there.
    beyondhopes

Answer by beyondhopes at 1:15 PM on Aug. 3, 2010

• Trust me, most girls are closer to their dads at this age, than their moms. I was like that too. In fact, I know some women who still call their dads, "daddy". It's a dad- daughter thing. Let it be.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 1:10 PM on Aug. 3, 2010

• That seems a bit odd.... well, actually VERY odd.. what is her personalilty like? Is she outgoing? withdrawn? do you trust that he wouldn't "do" anything wrong?? its odd he wouldn't talk to her on the phone in front of you, do you ever ask him?
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 1:11 PM on Aug. 3, 2010

• Some behavior is very odd, but some is pretty normal for daddy's girl- no matter their age.. Standing next to the restroom while he is in there?!!! **ODD!**
    But I will say it is GREAT for a dad & daughter to be close... It will keep her from seeking other boys for Worse attention! KWIM?! I know of a few daddies girls that are very independent, very secure, and have no need for the "boys" because they get that attention from their father (in a good way, nothing bad)..

I would talk in private to him that the talking in private makes you feel like an outsider in your own home & it makes you feel unwelcome. And ask him why does he need to talk to his dd in private so much?
    I mean do you think there is a relationship going on there that goes beyond the boundaries of daddy/daughter? Do you think your hubby would do something like that? If not. then i would not worry too much.. Only worry if something bad is going on.
    MommaTasha1003

Answer by MommaTasha1003 at 2:36 PM on Aug. 3, 2010

• I really don't find that odd..NOW if she GOES INTO the bathroom with him while he is using it now that would be odd.. My daughter is 3 and she follows her daddy everywhere he goes. I don't think that changes to much even with age. Sounds as though she is just a daddy's girl and a BIG one at that...
    lil_Army_Wife05

Answer by lil_Army_Wife05 at 6:41 PM on Aug. 3, 2010