cable or not?

am i nutz or what?
i won't get cable cuz i don't like the cartoons, and won't let my kids watch em.
tell me your view. i think all the cartoons that they see have way too much vilence and sex. or it just cuz i grew up watching strawberry shortcake?

noel1978

Asked by noel1978 at 1:07 PM on Aug. 3, 2010 in Just for Fun

• Let me add in there, that my husband and I just don't feel the need for tv. It isn't that we felt it was innapropriate. I'm just stating that you can live without it. If you do get cable, as a mother, you CAN monitor what your kids watch.
    GingerMom33

Answer by GingerMom33 at 1:11 PM on Aug. 3, 2010

• We watch Sesame street every morning on PBS...but there are A LOT of cartoons that I would not allow my son to watch...we also watch animal planet together and he LOVES the "big kitties"...lol but I don't blame you for not wanting to watch a lot of the garbage cartoons on TV, I used to watch fragle rock and eurekas castle when i was growing up.
    shortleo

Answer by shortleo at 1:09 PM on Aug. 3, 2010

• We don't even have our TV hooked up to a cable outlet. All we watch are movies. Guess I'm crazy too :)
    GingerMom33

Answer by GingerMom33 at 1:09 PM on Aug. 3, 2010

• I have cable and I have control over the remote. How old are your children? You can block certain channels with some cable providers.
    jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 1:12 PM on Aug. 3, 2010

• Ummm,you CAN limit your children to what you deem appropriate without cutting off the cable. What cartoons have you seen with sex in them? The Fox ones??

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 1:09 PM on Aug. 3, 2010

• I hate the new cartoons - their either thinly veiled adult shows (spongebob) or beyond brain numbing (Oomi Zoomi or w/e the heck it is). I miss the smurfs
    Alas, dh is addicted to spongebob and heaven forbid if I get rid of cable and we don't get SyFy anymore (which I'll admit, that one's all me). And dd needs a steady supply of Nick/Disney or she'll go into a rampage!
    I usually just take a book out onto the porch.
    plylerjones

Answer by plylerjones at 1:10 PM on Aug. 3, 2010

• I have not had cable in over a year. I can watch pretty much anything I want online or via Netflix. I don't miss it. Why pay an extra $50-100 or even more to flip through channels, more than half of which you probably do not watch?
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 1:10 PM on Aug. 3, 2010

• I don't care for the "new" cartoons but Sesame Street and anything on Nick Jr is ok in my book, most Disney geared for little ones is ok too. We limit tv and hardly have it on at all in the summer months.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 1:13 PM on Aug. 3, 2010

• Get the cable and block the channels you don't want your child to watch. I hate Sponge Bob I think it is so stupid but then so are alot of the cartoons today. Just limit their watching
    Moms_Angels1960

Answer by Moms_Angels1960 at 1:17 PM on Aug. 3, 2010

• My local cable company has come up with a children's remote control. It is a remote that is programmed by adults/parents to show only the shows and times allowed. It has a place that you put your child's photo in, so each child can have their own remote. I watch Boomerang cartoon channel, which shows things like the Flintstones, the Jetsons, etc. I remember waking up early on Saturday morning to watch cartoons. It was the only day of the week I got up without an alarm clock or my Mom pushing me out of bed. I miss those Saturday mornings, it was the only day cartoons were on TV.

Joeygoat

Answer by Joeygoat at 1:18 PM on Aug. 3, 2010