beer to increase supply?

Someone told me that the brewers yeast in beer will help keep up your milk supply, and that I should have a beer every once ina while. Is this safe? Has anyone tried it? I've read that its okay, but I guess I just need to hear it from other moms. No critisizing please.

GingerMom33

Asked by GingerMom33 at 1:07 PM on Aug. 3, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I've heard that too..I think it may be an old wives tale,LOL. But it would be wonderful if it were true, wouldnt it? lol
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 1:09 PM on Aug. 3, 2010

• I would talk to my doctor, but I would also never consume alcohol while pregnant or nursing. The best way to keep supply up is to stay hydrated and make sure you're getting enough calories.
    MomtoElliett

Answer by MomtoElliett at 1:09 PM on Aug. 3, 2010

• i never heard that. but i don't pay too much attention to it cuz it makes me really sick.
    noel1978

Answer by noel1978 at 1:11 PM on Aug. 3, 2010

• I've heard that but I was always too afraid to do it so I bought a breast pump and after my son was done nursing i would use it for about 5-10 min...the lactation lady told me it was important to get it all out then leave the pump on for about 5 more min. After a few days my supply increased and of course that was the day my son decided he wanted to sleep more and nurse less so i was sore all day...lol
    shortleo

Answer by shortleo at 1:14 PM on Aug. 3, 2010

• I would absolutely talk to a local lactation consultant about that. I actually heard that alcohol/beer decreased your supply.. I can't tell you from experience because I didn't drink during the time when my dd was nursing- but I bought a pump, like shortleo, and used it often and it increased my supply briefly. The thing that helped the most was just nursing as frequently as she would, kiddos know how much they need and drink what they need when they need to- your chachas will come through for ya :) Don't worry!
    LishaBee

Answer by LishaBee at 2:04 PM on Aug. 3, 2010

• I heard about it too!... its just an old wives tale....
    Artistachica

Answer by Artistachica at 2:08 PM on Aug. 3, 2010

• It does help in some cases.. Only because it relaxes you, also something to do with the yeast as well.
    But there are other, safer ways to encrease your milk supply, I so wouldn't recommend this one just because different babies may react differently to alcohol.
    Look it up on kellymom.com. There are safe ways of doing it, my favorite being - jsut stay in bed all day and nurse-nurse-nurse! The more you nurse, the more milk you will have!
    go_romanovs

Answer by go_romanovs at 2:12 PM on Aug. 3, 2010

• brewers yeast can help with supply issues, but the alcohol actually decreases supply.
    rhianna1708

Answer by rhianna1708 at 2:52 PM on Aug. 3, 2010

• Brewers yeast may help, so you can take just that. However it is unproven, There are lots of other things that have been proven to work. Brewer's yeast is often reported to be a galactagogue, however many feel that brewer's yeast is not effective for increasing milk supply. Brewer's yeast is a rich source of B vitamins, and a protein source, providing essential amino acids. It often causes bay to be gassy.

Check out What is a galactagogue? Do I need one?...Herbal remedies for increasing milk supply

Drinking beer is NOT helpful because alcohol inhibits the let down reflex and actually DECREASES your milk supply.

maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 3:18 PM on Aug. 3, 2010

• I took brewers yeast tablets; they helped a lot.

Answer by rkoloms at 8:51 PM on Aug. 3, 2010