Livid!

Ok watching National News last night there was a story on the FDNY and how some have insisted that they do not hire enough minority applicants. So, to that end (because of all not having access to a good education..(I thought as Americans you were granted a public education?) they now have to "dummy down" the test so more minority applicants can pass it. WTF? What is next? Should they dummy down a high school diploma? How bout a college degree...how bout the Bar exam or the Medical exam? a doc that got a degree because of his ethnicity? The drivers license exam? I am sorry, I agree racism is WRONG, but there has to be a better way than making a test easier..thus making the job more dangerous due to the inept people working there. One suggestion was to offer programs in high school geared for the passing of this test as it is now. I think this is a much better solution..your thoughts?

salexander

Asked by salexander at 1:24 PM on Aug. 3, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• How about give everyone an equal education

I went from a Private school to a public one in a low income area...

The students are behind, the teachers don't give a _____ and their books were outdated.

Kids had so much trouble going on at home, school was NOT the priority

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 1:27 PM on Aug. 3, 2010

• Tests should be based on the information needed for one demonstrate they comprehend their chosen career and that posses the knowledge and the very best in their field. It should not be altered or God forbid dumbed down to cater anyone....

grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 1:33 PM on Aug. 3, 2010

• I agree OP. There are MANY MANY people who come from bad areas of town without the the best access to education to who do FANTASTIC and there are MANY that have access to excellent education that end up in the gutter. The Quality of education and the standard we hold those in any given profession should be COMPLETELY separate! So do YOU want the dr who couldnt pass the harder medical test as YOUR dr??? I dont think so. And I certainly dont want him treating my children. This also applies to the FDNY. I am sorry if their education growing up was lacking but if you followed that other Firefighter story there was a guy with a TRUE learning disability that PASSED the test because he went and got a tutor to help him! It's called Hard WORK, and life isnt fair...it will never be...

momof030404

Answer by momof030404 at 1:36 PM on Aug. 3, 2010

• Tests should be based on the information needed for one *to* demonstrate they comprehend their chosen career and that *they* possess the knowledge and the very best in their field. It should not be altered or God forbid dumbed down to cater anyone....

grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 1:36 PM on Aug. 3, 2010

• Racism is definitely wrong and that's why I think that people should not be hired based on race. I think all people should have the equal opportunity to learn and that teachers should pay more attention to those that struggle. Tests should not be dumbed down for more people to pass them. We should up the learning for more people to pass them.
    Desi_Momof4

Answer by Desi_Momof4 at 1:43 PM on Aug. 3, 2010

• I am ALL for equal education no matter what the color of your skin is or how bad or nice your neighborhood is...BUT it is NOT the fault of a family who's house is on fire, nor the fault of the fire fighters who could pass the test that there is disparity in education. Never should anyones life be at risk just so someone who did not have the best education can have a job! To me that is a total outrage! I agree, if your life basically sucked and you did not have good schools to attend,,,well as an adult you now have options...get a tutor, go back to night school, learn what needs to be learned to pass that test or don't get the job, don't blame race or economic status as why you are singled out for not getting a job that one who can pass it deserves, no matter what color they are!
    salexander

Comment by salexander (original poster) at 1:44 PM on Aug. 3, 2010

• What happened to having tests to see if you possess the skills to do the job. They have enogh of a dangerous job without having to worry if they have some one who knows what they are doing at their back
    dragonlady44

Answer by dragonlady44 at 1:46 PM on Aug. 3, 2010

• Its not about how your life sucked, in a cycle of poverty and lack of education...you can't see past your front porch

many of the people that went to the school i referred ended up in jail, or living the same type of poverty not knowing how to get out..many times their own families either didn;t know what to teach them or taught them the wrong thing..its a hard way of life to grow out and away from

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 1:58 PM on Aug. 3, 2010

• You can't regulate people's home lives. You can't force THE PARENTS to take an interest in education.

This is truly the problem. You can blame poverty all day, but I am poor, and my children are way ahead of the curve.

I grew up poor, (depending on the year, the drug habit, and the boyfriend) and our kids live well.

I have a hard time figuring out what the disconnect is, but you can't simply say poverty and be done with it.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 2:12 PM on Aug. 3, 2010

• Are you, sweet-a-kins, in support of dumbing down tests for these people, or these people breaking away from the vicious cycle? Although it may be hard, it is not impossible. It depends on the person and whether they strive to become more than society says they can become. My husband works hard and struggles to make the kind of money we need to make to survive. He has no college degree, but he makes it work. This is possible for all people to overcome if they have the will. Society does not keep us down, WE keep us down.
    Desi_Momof4

Answer by Desi_Momof4 at 2:16 PM on Aug. 3, 2010