Would someone explain to me what harm playing video games or playing on the computer causes?

My son is not on them 24/7 despite no limits. He reads a lot with no one forcing him to do so. He has learned so many things from being on them. He has so many skills now that will help him in the future with jobs. Skills that I do not have. Skills that my mom, despite, two degrees and a certificate in computers has no clue about. So, what pray tell is so wrong?

BradenIsMySon

Asked by BradenIsMySon at 1:32 PM on Aug. 3, 2010 in General Parenting

• I don't think there is a problem. Your son is old enough and has set boundaries for himself without you or dad stepping in. I must say he does have some good parenting for that. However, my kids are still young. They are 6, 4 and 1. Even with my guidance, they still have problems judging what is an acceptable amount of time on their games. Besides that, they get bored easily. They have had games that they played for a while, and then get bored and stop. I am not going to pay the money for these games when my kids are not going to play them. However, there have been kids who have died from playing too much. There are kids who will feast on energy drinks and candy bars and pee in bottles for days on end and eventually, it will kill them. It's sad.

krissyvelazquez

Answer by krissyvelazquez at 12:16 AM on Aug. 4, 2010

• well in his case, nothing. its when thats the only thing a person does that it can become a problem
    kaysha

Answer by kaysha at 1:34 PM on Aug. 3, 2010

• If you don't think it is then why worry about what others think? I only do what I feel is best for our kids, and could care less what others think...
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 1:35 PM on Aug. 3, 2010

• I found nothing wrong with them my husband plays. I know that gamers have a faster reaction time and also notice things that you don't always catch. My husband said he will allow our boys to play but he wont allow them to play all day. As long as he has a healthy balance between school, friends and family no problems at all
    Claudiomom

Answer by Claudiomom at 1:35 PM on Aug. 3, 2010

• I don't think that with limitations there is anything wrong with playing video games. If a kid WAS on them all day, it would affect getting up and getting excercise, socializing with others, focusing on school work, etc. Plus I do belive some of the more violent games do have negative affects on children (even more so than TV, because of the interaction in video games) if they are exposed to it so often. It is very possible to be addicted to video games, and most addictions aren't very beneficial. Not that I'm arguing with you, but out of curiosity what skills is he learning through video games and what types of games does he play?
    jessicarae787

Answer by jessicarae787 at 1:37 PM on Aug. 3, 2010

• Nothing is wrong with them unless they take over every aspect of your life.

Answer by older at 1:37 PM on Aug. 3, 2010

• I don't think there's anything wrong with it, as long as it's done in moderation. I personally feel that an hour or two a day of video games and/or TV is enough for kids but I understand that some parents don't agree.
    vicesix

Answer by vicesix at 1:37 PM on Aug. 3, 2010

• I don't know. We have a Wii and my 3.5 year old LOVES playing it. I see no wrong with it.
    baby1love

Answer by baby1love at 1:37 PM on Aug. 3, 2010

• If its prolonged then it can cause eye sight damage,it decreases socialization, stunting a childs social skills, it occupies thier mind way too much and it can cause lack of imagination.
    I think playing the games are fine as long as they are not on it 24-7...same with watching tv.
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 1:38 PM on Aug. 3, 2010

• IMO- none as long as it isn't a constant thing and the games are age appropriate. As long as they still get up and play...No harm
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 1:44 PM on Aug. 3, 2010