Can you dye your hair even if you haven't washed it for awhile?

Or should I just wash it now let it dry then massage my scalp get all them oils going then dye bc I have heard the color stays better if the hair is a little dirty like a days worth. the reason I don't wash it as often is bc I am a SAHM and we go walking my hair gets all sweaty then we jump into the pool so my hair gets rinsed off and wet I can not be washing it all of the time I just kind of go with it I usually wear it up anyway. Now if we had a special place to go to well yeah I'll go all out...lol
What r ur thoughts thanks!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:57 PM on Aug. 3, 2010 in Beauty & Style

• You can do it now, dont put hair dye on freshly washed hair! Do it b4 u take a bath!
    DeeMarie87

Answer by DeeMarie87 at 1:58 PM on Aug. 3, 2010

• My hair color suggests I dont wash my hair before I dye it. I usually wash it the next day after, give it 24 hours to set,
    beyondhopes

Answer by beyondhopes at 1:58 PM on Aug. 3, 2010

• should NOT dye hair that has just been washed
    needs nature oil i think for dye to take better
    fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 1:59 PM on Aug. 3, 2010

• It's better if it's not washed
    June_Mama09

Answer by June_Mama09 at 2:00 PM on Aug. 3, 2010

• yes u can. Your hair should be dirty when u die it. If you wash it you wash all the oils out.
    luvinher

Answer by luvinher at 2:00 PM on Aug. 3, 2010

• I wash my hair daily, and usually skip washing the day I dye it. The natural oils on your hair will help keep it from getting fried.
    rhianna1708

Answer by rhianna1708 at 2:01 PM on Aug. 3, 2010

• yup, my stylist likes it dirty (hair, that is!) but I wouldn't dye hair with chlorine in it. wash it, wait a day (and don't go swimming) - then dye it.
    Ashlynnsmommy07

Answer by Ashlynnsmommy07 at 5:52 PM on Aug. 3, 2010

• can you.. yes..

however, if you have product in your hair, or excessively oily hair.. wash it first. Why? because product and oil build up can make it more difficult for the product to have to cut through excess gunk in your hair, to open the cuticle to allow the pigments to penetrate into the cortex of your hair.. therefore, the color can wash out easier, leaving it look dull because most of it didn't penetrate, and only just clung to the cuticle of the hair instead.

Do NOT allow your hair to touch the pool water at least 24 hours before, or 24-48 hours after, to ensure that the chlorine doesn't effect the dye pigments.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 11:32 PM on Aug. 3, 2010

• I want to correct a few assumptions here.

1: dirty hair is bad hair, and should be cleaned before any color job..
    why? for reasons I stated above..

2: hair is not considered "dirty" unless it has product in it, or if your hair is excessively oily.

3: yes you should wait at least 12 hours after washing hair to color it. the natural oils don't necessarily protect your hair. your "oils" aka sebum doesn't drip from your scalp or flow through any "veins" in your hair.. so you wouldn't get even coverage if that was the case.. you should wait because shampooing and conditioning changes the pH of your hair. You break down salt bonds in your hair, and they need time to heal. You also can't apply most color to damp hair. It won't process correctly.. which is why we typically say about 12 hours.. However you don't want to go much over 48 hours unless you have a scalp that is very dry. (such as some ethnic hair types)
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 11:41 PM on Aug. 3, 2010

• Yes its suggested for better color retention.
    SultryLadyBug

Answer by SultryLadyBug at 4:53 PM on Aug. 4, 2010