Potty Training

My almost 3yo refuses to sith on the poty (her or the big one). we have tried various things to get her to go. She likes to wear her big girl panties but she dont want to use the toilet. Any ideas or advice to get her to go???

Aranna

Asked by Aranna at 2:04 PM on Aug. 3, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• She may not be ready for potty training. Perhaps give her a bit more time until she is ready?
    If youre ready, and you think she is ready, yet being stubborn I do have a little advice.

I would get rid of the diapers... buy no more, and put no more on her. That way she has no choice but to use the potty. I would consistently keep getting her to go the potty. I would also add incentive. We used little chocolates and washable tattoos. If she pees she gets to pick either a chocolate or a tattoo, if she poops she gets one of both. That way shell want to do it. Make sure every pee or poop on the potty leads to a huge celebration. Praise her, and tell her that youre proud. Ive done this with my 3 potty trained children.. and it has worked every time. I plan to use the same method with my 1 year old when he is two. Good luck, mama!
    KristinRox

Answer by KristinRox at 3:27 PM on Aug. 3, 2010

• Keep trying. We put our son on the potty once a day at the same time. If he refused to sit, we just moved on. If he sat and/or peed, we celebrated with him. Eventually he started to sit willingly and typically pee (we chose after dinner and before his bath). Once he was comfortable, we moved on to potty training. Simply getting rid of the diapers won't always work. My son couldn't care less about being wet so we stuck with pullups until he would sit willingly on the potty then we got rid of them. (We used pullups rather than diapers since we sometimes hit a day when he was willing to sit more than once and this made it easier.) Once he sat willingly, it only took about 2 days for him to get the basic idea with limited accidents.
    momofryan07

Answer by momofryan07 at 3:58 PM on Aug. 3, 2010

• we tried incentives, for a while she was doing really good, then all of a sudden she wanted nothing to do with it.
    Aranna

Comment by Aranna (original poster) at 4:00 PM on Aug. 3, 2010

• kids will go back and forth... my girls have been trained since they were around 9 months old... for a week my 3 year old decided that she wouldn't poop on the toilet, just pee.... it was a disaster, since she was 100% trained... there was nothing I could do... but encourage, give praise and work with her on it.
    asil

Answer by asil at 11:54 AM on Aug. 4, 2010

• Offer sticker rewards.
    SultryLadyBug

Answer by SultryLadyBug at 4:13 AM on Aug. 5, 2010

• Im struggling to get my 3 yr old to use the potty too :(
    TikkiNippets

Answer by TikkiNippets at 8:46 AM on Aug. 5, 2010

• With both of my kids I just waited until they were ready. They told me they were ready so I put them in big boy/girl undies and were potty trained night and day. One was 2.5 and the other was 3.5 when they decided they were ready. The doc told me that a child isn't ready until he/she wakes up in the mornings with a dry diaper.
    ziff130

Answer by ziff130 at 8:57 AM on Aug. 5, 2010

• some mornings she is dry while others she is wet, she has told me that she wants to use the potty, and then the next day she dont want anything to do with it.
    Aranna

Comment by Aranna (original poster) at 10:37 AM on Aug. 5, 2010

• She maybe not ready. Have you tried a smaller potty?
    sstepph

Answer by sstepph at 10:38 AM on Sep. 16, 2010