What is the difference between hair dye that has amonia & peroxide oppose to not having it?

I'd prefer it NOT to have it but why even put it in it if it is not good for you?

What is the purpose of it?

Thanks!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:05 PM on Aug. 3, 2010 in Beauty & Style

• you need a chemical that will allow the cuticle of your hair to open so the color pigments can penetrate into the cortex of your hair.
    a temporary color (like some gels, sprays, etc) don't contain any of this really, because the pigments are only meant to cling to the cuticle of your hair and wash out.

in semi and demi the pigments are designed a certain shape so as to hold color, but not permanently..

while a permanent color needs something to open the cuticle to allow it to enter the cortex and swell to it stays in.

your hair is typically between a 4.5-5.5 on the pH scale, in order to swell it and open it you need something to raise the pH (the alkaline of your hair).. thus ammonia is the most common product used.

xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 11:47 PM on Aug. 3, 2010

• I have no clue. Sorry that I am no help to you
    BOOGIETHEBOOG

Answer by BOOGIETHEBOOG at 2:12 PM on Aug. 3, 2010

• I know peroxide lightens your hair. That's how I used to do my own highlights.
    Adelicious

Answer by Adelicious at 2:47 PM on Aug. 3, 2010

• sodium hydroxide is typically an activator used to activate the products as well..

there are some more "natural" and "organic" hair color lines out there.. however seek a stylist who runs a more "organic" like salon for a list of good products (personally I'm not an organic girl, I worked with organic materials and most products aren't as "organic" as some people would like them to be.. especially since half these companies don't really know what "organic" really is.. )
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 11:50 PM on Aug. 3, 2010