Why is my dog getting skinny???

My golden retriver/lab mix is starting to get really skinny and no idea why? He doesn't have worms we checked. could it be his food? He gets 2 large servings a day. Should we try puppy food since theres more fat? Is ol roy dog food ok or bad? Whats the best dog food that doesnt cost a fortune?

JacobsMommy05

Asked by JacobsMommy05 at 2:08 PM on Aug. 3, 2010 in Pets

• I would definitely NOT be feeding him Ol Roy (or Purina, Pedigree, Science Diet, Eukanuba/Iams)! Those are all low quality foods. They are loaded with corn, wheat, soy, sugar, byproducts, and/or artificial chemicals/preservatives. If you are feeding any of those brands, he is probably just POOPING them out. High quality foods have less junk and more actual nutrition. The first thing I would do is take him to the vet and have them do a full blood panel and urinalysis to rule out any health problems. Then I would swith him to a higher quality food. A couple of sites to start with in finding better foods are http://www.dogfoodproject.com/, http://www.dogfoodanalysis.com/dog_food_reviews/, and http://www.dogfoodadvisor.com/.
    CollinBayleeMom

Answer by CollinBayleeMom at 3:04 PM on Aug. 3, 2010

• Could be a lot of reasons, but most of them are not good. Any pet that is losing weight for no reason needs to see a vet asap.
    jessradtke

Answer by jessradtke at 2:11 PM on Aug. 3, 2010

• Is he puking at all? What kind of food do you feed him? Cheap or higher quality? Have your vet check his kidneys and stuff. My inlaws dog has kidney issues and she lost a TON of weight. Between a medication, buying higher quality and adding people food to her diet, she gained weight. And I mean things like adding chicken, eggs, cheese, and other stuff to the dog's kibble.
    kuriequinn

Answer by kuriequinn at 2:12 PM on Aug. 3, 2010

• I wouldn't be feeding him Ol Roy or any kind of dog food you can get anywhere. Science Diet is good. Where we go, it's always on sale, so we get 40lb bags for about $35. How old if the dog? If he's over a year, don't go back to puppy food. They make different kinds like high endurance, active dogs(probably same thing LOL), Adult 1-6, Senior 7+. I would ask the vet what they reccommend for food. Also make sure he's getting the right amount for his weight.
    JGRIMMER

Answer by JGRIMMER at 2:14 PM on Aug. 3, 2010

• If he has a digestive problem,maybe thats why he doesnt eat,or cancer,or the food isnt that great for him. Have you tried plain ole white rice? My vet always suggested that when our doggie wouldnt eat. Get him to the vet asap. Ole Roy...no!!!
    guardmp_MOM

Answer by guardmp_MOM at 4:57 PM on Aug. 3, 2010

• i'd atleast call the vet.
    jennifer588

Answer by jennifer588 at 2:13 PM on Aug. 3, 2010

• I would call the vet, there is so many reasons why. I am not a vet and I don't want to tell you what I think, you need to call the vet and have him checked out. Good luck and I hope he is ok.
    PoisonousBlonde

Answer by PoisonousBlonde at 2:17 PM on Aug. 3, 2010

• Could be a thyroid problem which is easily solved with inexpensive prescription medication. You need to have the vet check him out.
    slw123

Answer by slw123 at 2:56 PM on Aug. 3, 2010

• Could be something as simple as him shedding his summer fur.
    Take him to the vet and ask him.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 3:06 PM on Aug. 3, 2010

• I looked up Ol' Roy because I knew nothing of it and its horrible! Below are the ingredients. Good dog food should have meat in the first 5 items. No meat here! Meal and by product meal is NOT meat! By-products are for chicken are ground up chicken feathers, beaks and feet and other crap humans would never tolerate in their food.
    kuriequinn

Answer by kuriequinn at 3:54 PM on Aug. 3, 2010