maternity leave?

i am currently 36 weeks pregnant and was wondering about maternity leave,i go to school full time and my counselor said it starts when i have the baby,though i've heard that your suppose to be on maternity leave before u have the baby.either way i don't really care cuz i want to get as much done in my classes as possible before i go but i don't really want my water to break during class.i'd be pretty embarrased.but also how long does it last?i want to spend time with my newborn but i won't be able to provide for my family if i don't finish my certification.do i have to wait 6 weeks to go back??its just i'm afraid i'll lose my motivation to succeed if i don't do this now.

xdeviouskittyxx

Asked by xdeviouskittyxx at 4:45 PM on Oct. 4, 2008 in Pregnancy

• It's different by state. and only 1 in 10 women's water actually breaks to start the labor just to let you know
    Anonymous

• oh i know...i have 2 others and they had to break my water for both of them but knowing my luck...this will be the one that breaks it in front of everyone.... :(
    xdeviouskittyxx

Answer by xdeviouskittyxx at 4:57 PM on Oct. 4, 2008

• 2 other children***
    xdeviouskittyxx

• Maternity leave is 6 weeks from the time you take it. Be it before you have the baby or after you've had it. It starts the day you TAKE the maternity leave.
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 4:58 PM on Oct. 4, 2008

• well i live in NY so...is that the same?
    xdeviouskittyxx

Answer by xdeviouskittyxx at 5:27 PM on Oct. 4, 2008

• The best thing is to check with your employer. I think in TX it is 8wks and yes, it starts on the day you take it. That way you can use it if you have to be on bedrest at the end of your pregnancy.
    gwood

Answer by gwood at 5:42 PM on Oct. 4, 2008

• With the Family Medical Leave Act (FMLA), my mom is getting 12 weeks. She's already taken 2 and she hasn't had her baby yet (she's been in labor for two weeks). So, I would really research the laws of your state and not just take someone's word for it.
    KaroGreenly

Answer by KaroGreenly at 6:00 PM on Oct. 4, 2008

• If your doctor will release you early and say you can go back to school then you can go back when your ready.
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 6:29 PM on Oct. 4, 2008

• It's not 6 weeks from the day you take it, unless it's different from state to state. Generally you take four weeks before the baby is born, but you always get six weeks from the day you deliver.
    bdotmom

Answer by bdotmom at 10:27 AM on Oct. 5, 2008

• I went back to work 2 weeks after having my oldest. Your dr can release you back for work when he/she thinks that you are ready. Typically, that's 6 weeks.
    tiffanyp1980

Answer by tiffanyp1980 at 4:53 AM on Oct. 8, 2008