Do you really think it's fair to homeschool kids???

I had a lady come in my work today and she is homeschooling her kids because she says they get picked on in public schools. Usually, I wouldn't care what other people do with their kids and i'm not trying to be mean, but just by talking to this lady, I could tell she was kind of slow. I mean, she was in here paying a bill and she had a hard time counting her money. I just wondered to myself how affective some parents can be as "teachers" and if it's really fair to the child. Opinions?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:15 PM on Aug. 3, 2010 in

• no. my mom did and i will never forgive her that. i missed out on everything, and besides the point that she didnt teach me anything.
    sarahdicksonjr

Answer by sarahdicksonjr at 2:16 PM on Aug. 3, 2010

• It's definitely fair depending on the parents and the children. Some of the best kids I've known have been home schooled. I understand your concern but unless we know this woman and HOW she works with her children, who are we to judge?! =)
    firenicecream

Answer by firenicecream at 2:18 PM on Aug. 3, 2010

• i completley agree. i think homeschooling is not at all fair to the child. they miss out on a social life, and learning.
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 2:20 PM on Aug. 3, 2010

• Yes. Homeschooled families are getting together with other homeschooled families and doing activities together and socializing outside the home.
    2tinyhineys

Answer by 2tinyhineys at 2:20 PM on Aug. 3, 2010

• I think its unfair.. Kids should be in an environment with other kids.
    SuperrMommyy

Answer by SuperrMommyy at 2:21 PM on Aug. 3, 2010

• I think every parents should have the choice in the ways their child is educated, Honestly, 98% of things I learned past like 5th grade isn't something I use in my life. The only thing that matters in this life is life skills, cooking,cleaning, simple math. And BTW homeschooling doesn't mean that children miss out on a social life, I know quite a few parents who home school at atleast 2-5 days a week their children all interact together through added classes that teach things like cooking,survival skills, ect. Plus they take group fun days and vacation....
    CuteandCurvy

Answer by CuteandCurvy at 2:25 PM on Aug. 3, 2010

• I don't begrudge people the right to homeschool - but I think that there are a decent number of homeschoolers that aren't giving their children the education they would receive in public schools. I think that potential homeschoolers should be tested to ensure that they are qualified to teach their children, and children need to be tested throughout the school year to make sure they're on pace with their peers.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 2:25 PM on Aug. 3, 2010

• It depends on the parent and how they teach. But, it also shelters kids from what's going on out in the world so they sometimes miss out on valuable lessons that they could have learned while in public schools. I've thought several times that I could teach my kids better than some teachers they've had in public school but, really I wouldn't be doing my kids any justice by keeping them from experiencing different teachers' personalitites as well as personalitites of other kids.
    CindyLea3

Answer by CindyLea3 at 2:29 PM on Aug. 3, 2010

• After spending months researching the pros and cons of homeschooling, I know that my son who starts kindergarten in the fall would get a far better education home with me. He will go to public school because I can't get the cooperation of everyone in this house. Homeschooling is a way of life and it takes the cooperation of everyone in the house. I have two older boys who are about to graduate from our failing public school system, and they will do that despite the the horrible quality of the education they received. And BTW, if you do virtual school through your state it is paid for and you guide your kids through it, not teach them. They have a great support system and there is plenty of socialization.
    WoodWitch

Answer by WoodWitch at 2:42 PM on Aug. 3, 2010

• It depends on the parent, it depends on the evironment, it depends on the child's ability to be enrolled in other acitivies with their peers, etc. If a child who lives in the middle of no where, has no signed up acitivies, and nobody to relate to of their age it is not fair. It is not fair if the parent cannot provide a proper education either.

However, your interpritation of this women isn't an accurate one just because of the way she appeared. She may have help, she may be more alert or attentive then you realize, you don't know. Judging her and then judging home school in general is wrong. The situations differe and the reasons for whether home schooling is right or not do too. You cannot judge one situation and assume all situations are the same.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 2:57 PM on Aug. 3, 2010

Next question in
After School Treats

Next question overall (Pregnancy)
how soon can i take this ?