How can I get rid of nats int he kitchen?

We just recently moved into my husbands parents house (they bought a new house) and well to make a long story short...they never kept anything clean =s
So we're stuck with a kitchen full of yucky nats! I want them to go away before they turn into flies and poplulate. Im a clean person and we dont leave food out or anything that would attract them. Its so annoying and makes me feel so dirty. Any sugjestions?
Thanks =]
Karen.

premi_mama22

Asked by premi_mama22 at 4:48 PM on Oct. 4, 2008 in Home & Garden

• If your talking about fruit fly nats, then some foaming drain cleaner IN both sides of the sink pipes will kill them, as that is where they live and breed. In the sink pipes. I would also suggest scrubbing down the edges of the cabinets and under the fridge, as well as under the stove. Your gonna need to use a strong cleaner that disinfects to keep the little nats from coming back. But if they are fruit fly's the foaming drain cleaner will get rid of em.
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 4:57 PM on Oct. 4, 2008

• if there are any potted plants they may be living in the soils as well. give the kitchen a good scrub down and keep food and fruits covered.
    btw gnats don't turn into flies, just so you know ;-)
    teri4lance

Answer by teri4lance at 5:56 PM on Oct. 4, 2008

• Set out a bowl of cider vinegar on your cabinet. The gnats are attracted to it and will fall in and die. Works like a charm!
    Sarvin4

Answer by Sarvin4 at 11:51 PM on Oct. 4, 2008

• Oh lol...I so thought they turned into flies haha. Im not too much on bugs I just want them to not be in my house..Ive never had a bug problem untill we moved here. Thanks for all the great advice tho =]
    premi_mama22

Answer by premi_mama22 at 3:53 PM on Oct. 28, 2008