Have you ever broken up with a friend?

How did you go about it?

Esmrlda

Asked by Esmrlda at 2:33 PM on Aug. 3, 2010 in Just for Fun

• Eh, kinda. I had a really close friend who changed dramatically within a year and I was cool with it, but then she stopped being there for me as a friend and instead started choosing to blow me off for her "new" life and so I simply told her how I felt and after that she choosed to stop talking to me altogether. It sucked, and it still does, but I wasn't about to try to keep in contact with someone who obviously had no interest in keeping in contact with me. Hopefully someday she'll get her priorities straightened out, for her own sake.
    jessicarae787

Answer by jessicarae787 at 2:47 PM on Aug. 3, 2010

• yep. i was friends with this guy for near 12 years. he assumed the role of godparent to my kids without being asked. i moved to VA for a year and he got a gf. i thought yay some one new to hang out with.
    no, instead I and every single one of his friends got shunned. he's so far up this chick's ass it isn't funny. he doesn't know any of us anymore. my daughter kept asking for him when we moved back and i tried 3 times to make plans with him. and all 3 times he did not cancel, HE JUST NEVER SHOWED. I sent him a pissed off email, told him how much of a douche he was to do this to my kids and said if he tries to contact my kids again i'd snap his neck.
    13 years of friendship down the drain for some skank.
    mhaney03

Answer by mhaney03 at 2:40 PM on Aug. 3, 2010

• I cut all ties with them, blocked their numbers, facebook, and myspace.... avoid places you know you will see them for a while
    June_Mama09

Answer by June_Mama09 at 2:36 PM on Aug. 3, 2010

• I didn't but my sister did and boy did it cause drama. She sent her former friend an E-mail essentially saying "I am offended by the several things you have said about me, I have tried in the past to address this behavior with you and yet it keeps reoccuring. For sake of both our sanities I feel we should no longer be friends." Once the former friend read the E-mail she lost it and went on tirade accusing everyone of setting her up. It was awful for a few weeks. But in the end I think both my sister and her former friend are happier now that they are not pretending to like one another anymore. Now they have true friendships with people they like and respect.,
    FuzNet

Answer by FuzNet at 2:39 PM on Aug. 3, 2010

• I tried to, but she didn't let me. I sent her a text letting her know how I felt and she pretended she didn't get it! Haha! Then months later she forwarded it to me and said she just got it. Aye ye ye! We are still friends but not best friends more like aquaintances now. We're just different people...
    theutilitarian

Answer by theutilitarian at 2:39 PM on Aug. 3, 2010

• It was HS drama... We were best friends before HS, then she wanted to hang out with everyone else more than me, but still claim i was her BFF. I'm sure i was too clingy. Anyway got tired of trying to talk it out and deal with her hurtful comments so I wrote her a letter. As an adult, though, i dont thinnk i would do that. I'd just back off and let the friendship fade. Or, if she was just around and driving me nuts, I'd probably confront the annoying/innaprprite behavior until she changed or didnt want to hang around anymore. I assume your talking about a friend, not a boyfriend?
    Adelicious

Answer by Adelicious at 2:42 PM on Aug. 3, 2010

• I told them why I didn't want to be friends with them. Then I cut off all ties with them.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 2:43 PM on Aug. 3, 2010

• I had to - she had too much drama going on and I just could not take it anymore. She had zero interest in anyone else but herself and after two years I had enough. I just stopped calling her and never returned her calls. Eventually she just stopped trying to reach me. Sometimes I feel bad about it but after a few hours with her, I walked away with a headache.
    nicksmommy1000

Answer by nicksmommy1000 at 2:48 PM on Aug. 3, 2010

• Yeah I told this person what I thought about what they were doing to another person I had known her for four years and she had never been this mean. I just told her what she did was wrong and as long as she was going to keep hurting others we could not be friends after she almost broke up a couple who were newly engaged I just told her it was over.
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 2:50 PM on Aug. 3, 2010

• I've thought about it but I don't think I've actively told anyone that I couldn't be friends with them. Just because I've moved a lot so people get shuffled in and out of my life anyway. But recently, I've thought about it with some of the friends I have now.
    Blubuni99

Answer by Blubuni99 at 2:53 PM on Aug. 3, 2010