Can you stand a clutterbug or a packrat?

I grew up in a home where my mom always had 'stuff'. Nothing important, just 'stuff'. I have even found mail that had CHECKS in them for money and she didn't know they were there!
Well, my bf is also a packrat. He has tons of 'stuff' that has no point. He says he has this stuff because it makes him feel like he has belongings or something (I forget his exact words).
I am more of the type that 'Less is More'. Having a cluttered hom makes me feel anxious and like I'm suffocating and makes me ill tempered.
I have either secretly taken his things to Goodwill or have talked him into taking things himself.

Do clutterbugs/packrats drive you crazy?
Do you understand WHY they are the way they are?

Memigen

Asked by Memigen at 2:43 PM on Aug. 3, 2010 in Home & Garden

• my mom was the same way! just always had stuff. lots of stuff. it drives me crazy! if it's something i havent used in a year it's gone. i dont keep old mail, or anything like that. dh use to have a bunch of boxes of car parts (to cars we didnt own, just things he picked up at his job), he still doesnt know what happened to them.
    jennifer588

Answer by jennifer588 at 2:48 PM on Aug. 3, 2010

• Depends on how cluttered they really are.. Some disorganization doesn't bother me.. but messy.. does.
    SuperrMommyy

Answer by SuperrMommyy at 2:46 PM on Aug. 3, 2010

• Neither. I like things clean and organized.
    Mom2Just1

Answer by Mom2Just1 at 2:46 PM on Aug. 3, 2010

• Yes. I cant stand it. Im a minimalist, unless its useful (im a scrapbooker so i do have alot of "stuff" for that)..
    Im always going through closets cleanthing them out. drawers. Everything has to have a place.
    Right now im going nuts because my dh has about 5 albums of baseball cards sitting on his side of the bed. UGH!!!! And in our gameroom we have about 5 boxes of old albums just sitting there! We dont listen to albums! We dont look at baseball cards! We dont have any room for this stuff either. so there is not a "home" for them to go to :( .....
    Throwing it out isnt an option because its special to my DH cause it came from his aunt. but its still makin' me a lil' cray lookin at it.
    MommaTasha1003

Answer by MommaTasha1003 at 2:47 PM on Aug. 3, 2010

• Oh he has CRAP every freakin where! I finally made him take his crap outside and put it in a shed because I can't stand it. Now the shed is completely packed!

I mean, why keep stuff if you AREN'T USING IT! Ugh!

Like boxes that he hasn't been opened in months... if you don't know what is in it then obviously it isn't important and you aren't using it.
    Memigen

Comment by Memigen (original poster) at 2:48 PM on Aug. 3, 2010

• Yes! I'm the same way you are! Whatever is wrong with a hoarder/packrat's brain, I've got the opposite wrong in mine! I don't like stuff! I have actually gotten rid of things that I would've used if I would've just held on to it for another year.

Why are they like this?? Idk...I have watched several episodes of Hoarders, though and it's definitely a mental illness. Some people have been without before. For example: This lady hoarded food because she had gone hungry before.
    theutilitarian

Answer by theutilitarian at 2:50 PM on Aug. 3, 2010

• lol @ jennifer588... Brandon gets to looking for stuff and I'm always like, "Gee, I don't know WHERE it went" *insert halo above head*.
    Memigen

Comment by Memigen (original poster) at 2:50 PM on Aug. 3, 2010