While dying your hair does it some how wash it to? (When u rinse it out) then condition it.

The reason I ask is bc it says to don't dye your hair if it has recently been washed.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:44 PM on Aug. 3, 2010 in Beauty & Style

• You want your hair 'dirty' when you dye it so that the natural oils in your hair protect the hair and scalp from the chemicals. When I get my hair done they rinse out the dye and then they wash and condition it.
    slw123

Answer by slw123 at 2:46 PM on Aug. 3, 2010

• I THINK, you just have to leave it dirty for a given period of time (however long it says on the package).
    Adelicious

Answer by Adelicious at 2:46 PM on Aug. 3, 2010

• You're more likely to have a bad reaction if you don't have a light coating of your skin's oils on your scalp.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 2:47 PM on Aug. 3, 2010

• no it dont wash it to they say to just condition it to help seal the color if you wash it you could make the color fade a lot faster. now if your not using the box kind then yes u need to wash is because the amount of peroxide is a lot hight then it is in the box. ive been doing hair now for about 3 years now, but in the end its up to you if u want to wash it. i do a soap cap mix a little bit of shampoo with the left over color thats in the bottle,and wash it with that. good luck
    liljess09

Answer by liljess09 at 2:57 PM on Aug. 3, 2010

• I have found that some dyes have soap in them as you rinse you see bubbles and then you condition it.
    SassyDee01963

Answer by SassyDee01963 at 5:32 PM on Aug. 3, 2010

• if you have product in your hair, or excessively oily hair.. wash it first. Why? because product and oil build up can make it more difficult for the product to have to cut through excess gunk in your hair, to open the cuticle to allow the pigments to penetrate into the cortex of your hair.. therefore, the color can wash out easier, leaving it look dull because most of it didn't penetrate, and only just clung to the cuticle of the hair instead.

Do NOT allow your hair to touch the pool water at least 24 hours before, or 24-48 hours after, to ensure that the chlorine doesn't effect the dye pigments.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 11:52 PM on Aug. 3, 2010

• I want to correct a few assumptions here.

1: dirty hair is bad hair, and should be cleaned before any color job..
    why? for reasons I stated above..

2: hair is not considered "dirty" unless it has product in it, or if your hair is excessively oily.

3: yes you should wait at least 12 hours after washing hair to color it. the natural oils don't necessarily protect your hair. your "oils" aka sebum doesn't drip from your scalp or flow through any "veins" in your hair.. so you wouldn't get even coverage if that was the case.. you should wait because shampooing and conditioning changes the pH of your hair. You break down salt bonds in your hair, and they need time to heal. You also can't apply most color to damp hair. It won't process correctly.. which is why we typically say about 12 hours.. However you don't want to go much over 48 hours unless you have a scalp that is very dry. (such as some ethnic hair types)
    xxhazeldovexx

• YES wash it after you color it.. though..

why? there are chemicals you just put onto your scalp.. shampoo has surfactants in it, that will help rinse out excess product that could be left of your skin that could leave you with a chemical burn. The product has a time limit so it has time to penetrate and swell inside the cortex, so a good color protectant shampoo won't harm the color you just put on it. (unless it's just a temporary color, then obviously you don't shampoo after nor condition, etc blah blah).

but any permanent color, yes, rinse, shampoo, condition.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 11:56 PM on Aug. 3, 2010

• My stylist always tells me because every time you wash it, hair fades. You want the color to last as long as possible.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 2:06 AM on Aug. 4, 2010

• Yes the dirtier the hair the better the color stays. I use henna to color my hair and I always color after before my normal wash time.
    SultryLadyBug

Answer by SultryLadyBug at 4:52 PM on Aug. 4, 2010