Can you talk to your dh about stuff?

Well my dh has 2 kids from previous marriage now they r teenagers I no he misses them and wants to b there 4 them all of the time but he can only do so much from a distance I mean they stay in touchn r good kids (atleast they r good actors...lol) my ss tells me stuff I just don't dare tell my dh...anyway I was listening to my dh talk to tell not eavesdropping just bc they called right when we were watching a movie so we paused it while he is talking to them I can hear his conversation. my dh can say too much and be boring to me I can imagine how his kids feels I tell him make it short and sweet they don't want 2 hear all that. He just stays quiet idk if he doesn't want 2 tell me mind my own business or he is thinking about it like u might b right. I just feel like teens don't want to hear all that blah blah blah stuff even though my dh can put a foot up their butts when needed...lol
Do u put ur 2 cents or let him handle it?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:56 PM on Aug. 3, 2010 in Teens (13-17)

• I might offer him a little advice now and again but a lot would depend on if he would take the advice in the spirit in which it's meant. My husband never wants to listen when I comment on how he handles a particular situation.
    L.A.F.outloud

Answer by L.A.F.outloud at 9:17 PM on Aug. 3, 2010

• Let him handle it but ask him about the conversation and if he wants to discuss it with you then put in your word.
    Memigen

Answer by Memigen at 2:57 PM on Aug. 3, 2010

• Just let him handle it the way he does, I'm sure he's just trying to make a connection with them. I would think if his kids are bored with the conversation they will let him know its enough, try to get off the phone or simply change the subject. My dad still calls me occassionally and I can't stand the man but I stomach him because I know he's trying to build a relationship with me, and when I have had enough I just tell him.
    If the kids are sharing this information with you, then I would give them suggestions on how to handle it in a nice way with their father.
    blessedwboysx3

Answer by blessedwboysx3 at 3:56 PM on Aug. 3, 2010

• I think I'd let him handle it unless he comes to or if he talks to you and you feel he's hinting for someone to share his conversation with. You may just have to be in his shoes for a bit and handl it that way, Fathers and Mothers sometimes are a little different with their kids when it's their kids. I've seen it w/my adopted Gr-son and his Mother, she W-O-N-T let my son discipline his step-son, granted he can cloth,, feed and put a roof over his head, but no disciplining. So then she can't discipline him, end of that story. Now he's in war time, joined the Marines to get away from both of them. I'd let him handle his own kids for now and you be the good step mom.
    MyAngel003

Answer by MyAngel003 at 7:03 PM on Aug. 3, 2010

• If he lives apart from his children I am sure his kids don't find him borring at all.. Who cares what he is talking about? His kids are probably thrilled that he wants to talk to them.. Why on earth would you tell him to keep his conversations short and sweet? My husband works in another country and is only home every other month.. When he calls home, my daughter will take long and borring over short and sweet any day, just to hear his voice.. If it were me, I would be incredibly grateful that my dad wanted to talk to me..
    Leave him alone and let him talk to his kids.. He already tells you to be quiet, what more do you need? If how he talks to HIS children bothers you or you can't keep your opinions to yourself, go in another room so you can't hear the conversation..
    Ren_Ren

Answer by Ren_Ren at 11:46 AM on Aug. 4, 2010