When did your toddler take over feeding himself?

Around what age do toddlers stop needing/wanting help feeding themselves? I'll offer my 12 month old a few types of finger foods with each meal, but I always have a bowl full of something (yogurt, casserole, etc.) that I spoon into his mouth. His interest in finger foods completely varies by the day/meal/menu. Some days he is eager to cram food into his mouth and other days he just wants to play with his spoon or bib and let me feed him whatever we're eating. I'm fine with this for now - he's eating a varied, healthful diet so I'm happy. But around when do they take over?

Sebbiemama

Asked by Sebbiemama at 3:17 PM on Aug. 3, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Maybe my DD was a little slower on the eating but she didn't really feed herself anything but little finger foods until a littleafter the first year mark- over the next 6 months or so she began to develop her spoon skills and now she is good with the spoon and fork, although at 22 months she still insists on eating yogurt with her hands sometimes. I had to just let go of worry about the mess. I would give her her own spoon at dinner when I knew bath would follow so I could get the yogurt/applesauce/squash out of her hair. When your son shows interest in the silverware give him something thick that will stay on the spoon. Also, my DD likes the fork a lot, sometimes I think she eats more noodles just because she likes getting them with her fork. I am sure your son will show some interest soon.
    MaryMW

Answer by MaryMW at 4:12 PM on Aug. 3, 2010

• My son wanted to before a year. In fact, at his birthday party, he refused to pick up the cake...he asked for a spoon and fed himself the cake and ice cream. LOL
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 3:18 PM on Aug. 3, 2010

• Right about the 1 year mark.
    aliceinalgonac

Answer by aliceinalgonac at 3:20 PM on Aug. 3, 2010

• Follow his lead. I usually started giving my kids a fork and or spoon with some foods around that age. I will give my 13 mo old a bowl of yogurt and a spoon and she will feed herself. I started this because whenever I tried to spoon feed her she would get mad and just want to grab the spoon away from me. She makes a big mess and sometimes grabs fists full of yogurt, and often ends up finger painting, but that is how they learn.
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 3:22 PM on Aug. 3, 2010

• around 1yr. My 11 month old feeds herself though. She gets really messy but bath comes right after dinner.
    SabrenaLeigh

Answer by SabrenaLeigh at 3:23 PM on Aug. 3, 2010

• At about one year old. My son was nine months old and my daughter was 11 months old.
    elly25

Answer by elly25 at 3:30 PM on Aug. 3, 2010

• At about 1 year my ds wanted to feed self
    beautyoperator

Answer by beautyoperator at 9:52 AM on Aug. 4, 2010

• All babies if given food in sizes age appropriate and time to play before deciding to eat will self feed right from the beginning. alow for a more time -- babies often like to expore befor ingestion. You may find that after having a fun time of play, your baby will eat without you spoon feeding at all. babyled weaning to solids
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 11:39 AM on Aug. 4, 2010

• My daughter was around 18 months when she fully started feeding herself already. She is 20 months old now and she still doesn't do a great job, but I would say just let him play with spoon or at least let him hold it and guide it from the plate to his mouth so that he gets the concept.
    cynprz

Answer by cynprz at 10:35 AM on Aug. 5, 2010