Is a 13 month old too young for a toddler bed?

My son keeps trying to get out of his crib and he keeps getting his leg caught between the bed posts. I am not sure what else to do. I have rails for the toddler bed that i used with my other two, but i just don't know what to do. My other two boys 5 and 4 are in the same room as he is. Any suggestions would be great. Please no bashing, i just don't know what to do. I am trying to think of the safety of my child. Thanks!

Momofboys22

Asked by Momofboys22 at 3:18 PM on Aug. 3, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• my dd was 13 months when we put her in her toddler bed. it wont hurt to try it
    SabrenaLeigh

Answer by SabrenaLeigh at 3:19 PM on Aug. 3, 2010

• I think you have to move him into the bed. If he's hurting himself, what else can you do?
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 3:19 PM on Aug. 3, 2010

• It really depends on the child. My rule is if they can climb out of the crib, then the crib goes! It sounds like you may be ready to try that with your 13 mo old. If it doesn't work you can always go back.
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 3:20 PM on Aug. 3, 2010

• My 13 month old is fine in his crib. He went through about a week where he stuck his legs through after i took the bumpers off but he quit. I think it depends on the kid.
    carsonsmommytam

Answer by carsonsmommytam at 3:30 PM on Aug. 3, 2010

• My other two boys would lay down and go right to sleep but he likes to stand up in his crib and laugh and stuff. Do i just put him down in the toddler bed like i would his crib? Did anyone have trouble with their child getting out of bed? I'm sure that's gonna happen.
    Momofboys22

Comment by Momofboys22 (original poster) at 3:30 PM on Aug. 3, 2010

• You might try a crib tent before moving him to a bed. It will keep him safely in his crib and prevent his limbs from going between the bars. Note: in order for a crib tent to work, the sides of the crib must be even. If you have a convertible crib, it won't work. With two other kids in the room, you may have a tough time getting your 13 month old to stay in bed (unless he decides to follow what his older brothers do..)
    momofryan07

Answer by momofryan07 at 4:01 PM on Aug. 3, 2010

• My daughter was 18 mo. when we started using her toddler bed. Every child is different though. It seems like it would be more safe for him to fall out of his toddler bed then out of a crib. You can put several pillows on the floor below the opening of the toddler bed also to help with falls. That's what I do anyway. I'm not sure how it would all work with older kids in the room since I only have one child. Good luck! :)
    Bears.Mommy

Answer by Bears.Mommy at 5:09 PM on Aug. 3, 2010

• DD was that age when I moved her to one just get baby gates to put in the door way.
    hollinicole

Answer by hollinicole at 9:43 PM on Aug. 3, 2010

• If he's trying to climb out of the crib, you should probably move him to a toddler bed. It might take some determination at first; my mom said she used to sit outside my door and open the door every now and then and tell me to get back in bed. When he figures out that you're serious, he'll get the hang of it.
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 10:14 PM on Aug. 3, 2010

• If he is trying to get out of his crib then I would try the toddler bed, especially since he shares a room with his big brothers he probably wants to have a bed like theirs already. But chances are if he is trying to get out of his crib he will get out of his bed as well lol. Good luck!
    cynprz

Answer by cynprz at 10:36 AM on Aug. 5, 2010