My son screams alot, how do i get him to not scream

He screams for no reason.. He isn't hurt or anything, I know he probably doing it for attention but he does blood curdling screams. I need some help on how to stop it.

lacemarie

Asked by lacemarie at 3:20 PM on Aug. 3, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My Mom would have smacked us on the hiney had we screamed like that. Which is probably why we never did it.
    tryin2BGOOD

Answer by tryin2BGOOD at 3:24 PM on Aug. 3, 2010

• does he do it playfully? Try getting him to play a different game instead of screaming. My 11 month old likes to screech, which makes my 2yr old screech as well thinking its a game. We just make up a new one to play to distract them from that game.
    SabrenaLeigh

Answer by SabrenaLeigh at 3:25 PM on Aug. 3, 2010

• I tell DD "Too loud" if she does it 3 times, she gets a time out.
    musichollie

Answer by musichollie at 3:29 PM on Aug. 3, 2010

• I don't think is playfully.. He will scream and if I pick him up he will stop but if I put him down or anything he will do it again.. I'm not sure what to do.. I put him in "time out" for a minute to calm him down
    lacemarie

Comment by lacemarie (original poster) at 3:43 PM on Aug. 3, 2010

• Since he stops when you pick him up and starts when put down, he's clearly trying to get your attention. Ignoring it when it happens and giving him lots of praise and attention when he gets your attention without screaming might help. Remind him he needs to talk to you in a normal voice (whatever phrase you choose to use).
    momofryan07

Answer by momofryan07 at 4:06 PM on Aug. 3, 2010

• Well i try to do that and he just screams more. i was thinking its because he is getting four molars all at once
    lacemarie

Comment by lacemarie (original poster) at 4:27 PM on Aug. 3, 2010

• Give him another noise to make. He is probably screaming because he knows it's now an effective way to get your attention and communicate what he wants or doesn't want. When he does it, ignore the scream but teach him the phrasing for what he is actually trying to communicate. For example, if he screams when you put a toy away that he wants, ignore the scream and gently but firmly say, "Oh, do you want the toy? Say "Toy.'" Just keep it VERY direct, simple, and calm. After a few times he'll learn that actually communicating his needs is much more effective than screaming.
    DanielleB10

Answer by DanielleB10 at 6:42 PM on Aug. 3, 2010

• My daughter does the same thing. I told her if she doesn't stop I will take something she likes, like her blanket or a toy, and won't give it back for a while. She doesn't like that so usually she'll stop. But all kids are different. You just got to find out what he doesn't like and maybe that will work. Good luck.
    jessmom27

Answer by jessmom27 at 9:51 PM on Aug. 3, 2010

• My son does the same thing and he's 2 1/2. When it does it I have to tell him that the screaming is unnecissary (sp?) and he does not need to scream like that. If he continues to do it, I usually start counting and if I get to 3 he goes in time out for 2 minutes and when he's done I tell him why he was there and if he does it again I will put him back in time out until he can learn not to scream like that.
    starlette17

Answer by starlette17 at 2:51 AM on Aug. 5, 2010

• My niece does this all the time too lol. We just tell her shh no screaming but that doesn't work haha so when you find a solution pelase let us know.
    cynprz

Answer by cynprz at 10:37 AM on Aug. 5, 2010