is it "normal" for a child to masturbate? adult content

my daughter is 6 and recently started doing this. she usually does it in the living room while watching tv. i didnt want to scar her for life or make her feel akward so i never said anything. at best i tell her that it is a private thing and to do it in private but the next day shes back at it in the living room.
sooo my mom babysits her a few days per week and my daughter is now doing it at her house. my mom is outraged and says this is not normal and that something is wring with child that does this at her age. that hurt my feelings. i dont know if i should be alarmed by what my child is doing. does anyone have any input on this? i want to know first hand from experienced mothers what is "normal"...like what age do kids start and do other kids who are not punished for doing it think its perfectly fine to do it anywhere? how do i get her to do this in private without making her feel guilty/nasty?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:24 PM on Aug. 3, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I dont think it sounds very normal. It should deffinetely be controlled if not stopped otherwise, yes she will think its ok to do it anywhere. Maybe a little shame would do her good!
    SabrenaLeigh

Answer by SabrenaLeigh at 3:27 PM on Aug. 3, 2010

• It is normal- all she knows is that it feels good. Keep telling her that it's something to do in private- in her room by herself.
    musichollie

Answer by musichollie at 3:28 PM on Aug. 3, 2010

• It's normal and you are right. Just try to get her to understand it is for private times only. LOTS of kid masturbate. They know it feels good. Adults masturbate, why not a kid.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 3:29 PM on Aug. 3, 2010

• This is totally normal, she found a pleasure spot and is working it, you just have to tell her that although there is nothing wrong with doing this, it must be done in private and not for others to see. My niece at 3 years old was masturbating during nap time at school interrupting others with moans and groans, she usually fell asleep this way.
    Just keep harping at the private issue, but if she sees you are upset, she will disregard anything you say, just play it cool.

Answer by older at 3:31 PM on Aug. 3, 2010

• I dont really think she is "masturbating"..she just discovered that it feels good to touch there
    SuperrMommyy

Answer by SuperrMommyy at 3:32 PM on Aug. 3, 2010

• Normal. Just tell her that if she wants to do that. She needs to go in her room or the bathroom.
    elly25

Answer by elly25 at 3:32 PM on Aug. 3, 2010

• I don't thinkytou should shame her, she might think it's a bad thing to feel this way. You could scar her for life.
    One time I was masterbating and my aunt caught us, she pulled the covers off and toldf everyone to look at what we were doing. There was a party going on with their friends. A lot of grown men were stairing at us.
    So she turned something minor into something where a lot of people would point at us both and laugh. We felt shame for years to come!
    It made it very difficult for me to over look when it camne to any adult relationship when family members used to tell these stories.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:33 PM on Aug. 3, 2010

• Yes, it's normal. A lot of children will do it to relax, or when they are bored. It's not even necessarily 'sexual' at that age... it's just something that feels good. I would try distraction (ie. whenever you see her start, give her something else to do with her hands- crafts, a book, whatever.) And I would keep up talking to her about private parts and privacy, even if it means you remind her every day for awhile. My son is eight, and a simple "Hands out of your pants, that's private!" every once in awhile is all the reminding he needs.
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 3:33 PM on Aug. 3, 2010

• My son is a year old and plays with his peepee all the time lol you are right to tell her to do it in private... It would be wrong to tell her it's bad and all that since she would feel ashamed.....
    June_Mama09

Answer by June_Mama09 at 3:34 PM on Aug. 3, 2010

• Completely normal. When I taught preschool through college there were 2 girls who did this. One even went so far as to roll up her blanket between her legs and well, grind away. Then after college when I worked with a girl at the age of 5 her mom said she started it around 4 and was basically told to do it in her room, that it is her private area therefor should be touched in private. It's not masterbating to them, they don't even know what that is. I remember doing it early, as in elem school. As girls above said, she found her pleasure spot and is working it. If your mom can't handle it and you 2 can't discuss it rationally, does she have to babysit her? At least until your daughter understands to only do it in bed.
    2BlondeBabies

Answer by 2BlondeBabies at 3:39 PM on Aug. 3, 2010