How can I continue nursing when I go back to work?

I have to go back to work in 4 weeks. I love nursing my son, but when I go back, I will be working 3 days a week, over12 hrs each day. I plan on pumping at work, and I am freezing breast milk now when I pump. My mother will be watching him for me and feeding him bottles of breastmilk. Won't that cause a problem when I am trying to nurse him on my days off? And how do I prepare myself for the emotional aspect of having to share that special time with my son with others?

virginiabelle

Asked by virginiabelle at 3:26 PM on Aug. 3, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Pumping would be the best bet. Get a good bottle designed just for breastfeeding moms. GL
    SabrenaLeigh

Answer by SabrenaLeigh at 3:29 PM on Aug. 3, 2010

• He may get "nipple confusion" I would think if anything you may want to invest in a nipple shield. I have friends who did that then sloley took off the shield and babies didn't notice. Good Luck!
    twinmama2009

Answer by twinmama2009 at 3:33 PM on Aug. 3, 2010

• Continue to nurse on demand when with him. Pump at work and after you feed him. Remember, that you will not get alot when pumping and baby can go quite awhile without milk while you are at work, then, make up for it later by nursing a lot. It is possible to do it and not formula feed. And also remember that he might not take a bottle and make be able to sip it from a cup.

http://www.gotbreastpump.com/store/Adiri_Nurser_Baby_Bottle.htm

BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 3:37 PM on Aug. 3, 2010

• Neither of mine ever had a problem with nipple confusion. If possible while at work, try to pump close to his normal feeding schedule so that you will be pumping about the same amount he is drinking from a bottle each day.
    andrea96

Answer by andrea96 at 3:38 PM on Aug. 3, 2010

• Okay I had this problem so Im letting you know now. Pump your milk now and give it to your baby in bottles this way the baby gets used to the nipple. When I went back to work, as a manager working long days I used to pump on one side and nurse my baby on the other before I left to work this way the baby just ate for the sitter. The problem was we had never gave my daughter a bottle before so she refused to eat at all. We seriously went to target and got 1 of every kind of bottle/nipple they had and the sitter went through every one to try to find one she would accept. In the end they had to bring my daughter to me 2 times a day at work and I had to feed her in the office. Then I would get off and she would be starving by then so I had to sit inthe back seat of the car and lean my breast over her car seat for her to eat while someone else drove.
    josephsgirl86

Answer by josephsgirl86 at 3:39 PM on Aug. 3, 2010

• By the way all that pumping I had done from the time she was born til I went back to work was a waste. Yeah it was still good in the freezer but what good did it do me if she wouldnt take a bottle. Good Luck Hun I hope this helps!

josephsgirl86

Answer by josephsgirl86 at 3:40 PM on Aug. 3, 2010

• Babies can sip from a cup if they won't take a bottle.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 3:41 PM on Aug. 3, 2010

• I worked full time and breastfed until my daughter self-weaned at 23 months.

Answer by rkoloms at 9:04 PM on Aug. 3, 2010

• It's completely possible. Do your level best to pump every 2-3 hours while away. Make sure mom knows how much milk your LO needs. about an oz per hour 1-1.25 actually. Overfeeding is incredibly common. The need to suck and the hunger are not the same thing. Babies cry because they want the comfort of nursing, not always food. Overfeeding is a great way to run through your freezer stash in a hearbeat and not be able to pump enough, causing frusteration and short lived bfing relationship.
    Pump while you nurse during the first am feeding every day. This will be your highest output. Nipple confustion is not a given. We never had any problems at all. We introduced bottles around week 4. He got a bottle and pacifier at the sitters and the breast at home. Still nursing at 23 months.
    new_mom808

Answer by new_mom808 at 10:14 PM on Aug. 3, 2010

• Your plan in place is PERFECT. And NO, it will NOT cause problems. Relax. You're going to be FINE.

There is no suich thing as getting baby used to a bottle. They take it or not, from another person other than mom. MANY babies reverse cycle, waiting for mom to come home...and that's FINE. You'd turn cartwheels if baby SLEPT for twelve hours, after all!

I worked 60 hours a week and nursed to 26 months. COMPLETELY doable. In fact, the most successful fbreastfeeding moms I've known worked full time.

Answer by gdiamante at 1:10 PM on Aug. 4, 2010