Toxoplasmosis in Pregnancy

I just got a call from my Dr. and my blood results show that I have been in contact with toxoplasmosis from changing the litter box. I have been but DH and I came to the decision to get rid of the cat since he will be deployed in November and cant do this for me, and we had a friend come pick him up on Sunday. I guess apparently it is too late. I am so freaked out. I googled it and have read nothing but terrible things that can go wrong with the baby and it even says that the most common form of treatment for a woman who develops it before 24weeks gestation is termination of the pregnancy. I am so scared. Has anyone ever dealt with this before and turn out to have a normal healthy baby?

Ctink8189

Asked by Ctink8189 at 3:33 PM on Aug. 3, 2010 in Pregnancy

• In babies, the severity of symptoms depends on when during pregnancy the mother became infected. If infection occurs during the first three months of pregnancy, babies are less likely to become infected, but if they do, their symptoms are much more severe. During the last six months, babies are more likely to become infected, but their symptoms are less serious. Toxoplasmosis can also cause miscarriage or stillbirth.

If a pregnant woman is infected, prenatal tests, including ultrasound and amniocentesis , are performed to determine if the fetus is infected.

If a pregnant woman is infected but the fetus is not, the mother is usually given the antibiotic spiramycin. This medicine can decrease the chance of the fetus becoming infected by about 60%.

Fetuses with confirmed toxoplasmosis infections are treated by giving the mother the following combination of three medications:

* Spiramycin
    * Pyrimethamine
    * Sulfadi
    Tabatha42183

Answer by Tabatha42183 at 3:46 PM on Aug. 3, 2010

• I am so sorry to hear that! I havent personally known of anyone who has had it, so I don't know. How far along are you? what did the doctor say? Do you have to go back in?
    We have an adult cat here and 3 of her kittens. This has been a big issue in our house because noone will change the litter box except me. I can't stand the smell and everyone pretends they can't hear me when I ask someone to change it so I end up dong it myself. I worry about getting that too..but so far, I've been lucky.
    I hope everything turns out okay for you!!!
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 3:41 PM on Aug. 3, 2010

• I wish I could answer this from experience but I can't. I didn't do anything involving the kitty litter box after finding out I was pregnant either time because I was afraid of that but as for termination they can't say that something will be wrong with your baby that is all in Gods hands and if you don't believe in God thats ok too. A dr. can't tell you that something or nothing will be wrong with your child until it's born. I hope that you get an answer that will help you. But I will do some research and see if I can find something reassuring for you!
    Tabatha42183

Answer by Tabatha42183 at 3:42 PM on Aug. 3, 2010

• So there is hope, tell the dr. to test the fetus for it to find out for sure!
    Tabatha42183

• i dont know anything about it when i was 8 months preggo we had 2 cats for 2 weeks dh wanted to keep them but he wouldnt clean the liter box and i told him and showed him in my pregnancy books where it says preganant women cant clean liter boxes so we got rid of the cats which was fine with me im a dog person anywa sorry to hear this keep us updated
    mommam58122

Answer by mommam58122 at 3:46 PM on Aug. 3, 2010

• I don't know about after you have contracted it, but once you get it you can't get it again and most people that have cats have already contracted it without knowing it.

Answer by missanc at 4:07 PM on Aug. 3, 2010

• I am only 6 weeks right now (so baby is 4 weeks) so this is the very beginning. They are going to do more blood work tomorrow to determine if its an old or recent contact with it, but I am already positive that it is new because we hadn't owned a cat in YEARS and it never showed up in my previous pregnancies.
    Ctink8189

Comment by Ctink8189 (original poster) at 4:09 PM on Aug. 3, 2010

• I would ask your OB asap about it. They have probably dealt with this before! Good luck:)
    annaica

Answer by annaica at 5:30 PM on Aug. 3, 2010