What do you think of Family and Consumer Science being mandatory in high school?

NOT home ec where they bake cookies and sew, but like a class where the students learn life skills like budgeting, how to finance a car, child development, nutrition, organization skills, etc.

I think it would be a fabulous idea for all students to take just one class like this in high school.

abs0726

Asked by abs0726 at 5:09 PM on Oct. 4, 2008 in Just for Fun

• I think that that may be one of the best class choices a school has to offer. Yes, I use my math and English skills on a daily basis, but these are skills that really do need to be taught. So many parents won't teach them, are too busy to teach them, or they don't even realize that they need to teach them. My mother never taught me any of those types of skills, I had to teach myself and now I am trying to teach my 22 y/o sister.
    bdotmom

Answer by bdotmom at 9:50 AM on Oct. 5, 2008

• I think it should be mandatory all years of high school. Our nationwide school system does nothing to teach our kids about real life, the chanllenges they face, and economic woes taht we all go through.
    AndreaRUJuiced

Answer by AndreaRUJuiced at 5:21 PM on Oct. 4, 2008

• Many schools have a "life skills" class and it is required in alot of districts
    jjandjsmomma

Answer by jjandjsmomma at 5:24 PM on Oct. 4, 2008

• I would fully support that. Kids really need that! Granted it should be taught at home as well, but it cant hurt to hear it more than once. I know that my father talked to me early about planning for retirement and budgeting, but a lot of my friends weren't so fortunate and had to learn the hard way.
    kabbot01

Answer by kabbot01 at 6:01 PM on Oct. 4, 2008

• I am a Family & Consumer Sciences teacher so I would have to say yes! I have taught a variety of foods classes (including one where the kids learned how to make quick and easy microwave snacks and meals), single and married living, adult roles and responsibilities, human development (sexual decisionmaking and its consequences), and parenting. That's why they changed our name from Home Ec to FACS--it's changed from cookies and sewing to the relevant life skills that you mentioned.
    orangeorbie

Answer by orangeorbie at 6:16 PM on Oct. 4, 2008

• CONTINUED:
    Lots of parents work now there's not always a lot of time to teach your kid how to do those things they'll need to live independently, so I think that these classes should be mandatory. Although when teaching real-life skills like budgeting, time management, and workplace issues some kids still don't care and won't pay attention...but that's another topic! It's not required at my high school, but it should be--so many of the students will be lost when they graduate because their parents are MIA. I truly worry for our society in the coming years.

Also, our program is being closed in schools across the country because of a lack of teachers--nobody wants to major in "Home Ec" anymore!
    orangeorbie

Answer by orangeorbie at 6:17 PM on Oct. 4, 2008

• The high school I went to had a class like that: we learned how to handle finances-they gave us a checkbook with fake checks and a fake balance, fake paychecks and bills, and we had to make it all work. You'd be shocked at how many people forgot to buy groceries lol. They'd be so proud they saved X amount until the teacher said "Were you saving for your funeral? You starved to death." Then they moved us on to matching up and pretending to be married - you had to make decisions together and if you couldn't, you got a bad grade. It was big motivation to figure things out. They did the crying baby and everything. I thought it was a good idea, even though my parents were teaching me that kind of stuff - some parents don't.
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 7:44 PM on Oct. 4, 2008

• I don't see why not. These are skills they will need and many don't have. They actually likely need them now and/or could even help their parents. It would be a good idea to have a class like this that parents could pay for, just like drivers ed. It would help if banks would give them an extra percentage in interest or free checking as an incentive like the insurance companies give them for drivers ed.
    manna1qd

Answer by manna1qd at 7:48 PM on Oct. 4, 2008

• I think it's a great idea.
    Ilovepie77

Answer by Ilovepie77 at 9:30 PM on Oct. 4, 2008

• I think it's a fabulous idea, but they need to add back into the curriculum "how to sew on a button."
    Avarah

Answer by Avarah at 9:50 PM on Oct. 4, 2008