Ok, this prob has been brought up before, but

Does it just piss you off when you have made it clear what baby name you will be using for your next baby, and coincedently your SIL decides to name her newborn baby that very same name!? Seriously I thought there was THE CODE. She knew I was set on it, but just because she is pregnant and I'm not, she thinks she can use the name! I mean of course she has every right to use that name, but it was just a bitch move imo.

Mom2Rylin

Asked by Mom2Rylin at 3:53 PM on Aug. 3, 2010 in Baby Names

• Oh this PISSES me off when people super close to you do that. Although you don't own the name, you still told your SIL. My husband's cousin is having a baby and my cousin is having a baby, but my DH and I are sick of ppl taking the names we say we like so we are keeping mum and if they take it we are still going to use it.
    BraydensMommy4

Answer by BraydensMommy4 at 4:00 PM on Aug. 3, 2010

• Well I mean it's her right. If she wants to be that way then so be it. Learn what to say and when to say it.
    JuJubean1979

Answer by JuJubean1979 at 3:58 PM on Aug. 3, 2010

• I agree with you FULLY!!!!!!!
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 3:55 PM on Aug. 3, 2010

• I agree it's a bitch move. I'm not pregnant and I might not ever be again but I really want a boy baby one day. And I already have my name picked out (I have two - lol) and I don't like telling people. Not that the names are extraordinarily special but I would be upset if my friend/SIL took my name. I've told plenty of people names we WANTED to name our children (and ended up with different names) and those have been used by family and friends.
    Blubuni99

Answer by Blubuni99 at 3:56 PM on Aug. 3, 2010

• Could she have forgotten that you told he rabout the name and it was just stuck in her head and she decided to name the baby that because she liked the name? If thats not the case..yeah..I'd be peeved too.
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 3:56 PM on Aug. 3, 2010

• Oh my Lord! I know how you feel 100%. I let it slip to an old friend of mine what I was naming my daughter when I found out that I was pregnant. The whole if I have a boy or girl name thing. Well I had my daughter first and named her Olivia. My then buddy had her child second and named her child Olivia. I was livid. My husband told her and her husband "that is my daughter's name too". Their come back was "Ohh, I had no clue".
    elly25

Answer by elly25 at 3:57 PM on Aug. 3, 2010

• I see what you mean, but I don't think women can "reserve" names before they're pregnant. And even though you may have your heart set on a name, unless you have an ultrasound and determine the sex of the baby, you may not get to use it at all! :o)

If you LOVE the name, then why can't you give your child the same name? When I grew up it was like there were only a half-dozen boy or girl names...everyone was named John, Robert, Michael or Mary, Ann, and Margaret (and their respective nicknames)! LOL
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 4:00 PM on Aug. 3, 2010

• Id be peeved but really sense your not preggers yet I can see how shed have the right to do it.
    My_3_Babies

Answer by My_3_Babies at 4:03 PM on Aug. 3, 2010

• Yeah thats why I said she has every right to use the name, but I just thought she was not considering my feelings about using that name. Nobody likes her in the family excpet for my brother lol! She just has a very "I'm better than anybody else" attitude. Maybe thats why it bugs me so much. I should still use the name with the next baby lol, probably piss her off!
    Mom2Rylin

Comment by Mom2Rylin (original poster) at 4:05 PM on Aug. 3, 2010

• Eh. You're not pregnant, do you plan to be soon? You can't predict the sex of your baby so how could you know if you could ever even use it? In her mind its about naming her baby, not about you...I get why you'd be ticked, but you can't say for sure if you'll ever have a baby to use the name and "calling" a name is somewhat silly in the big picture. Curious, what was the name??
    gramsmom

Answer by gramsmom at 4:07 PM on Aug. 3, 2010