Any money or time saving tips for back to school shopping?

Please don't tell me to go to thrift stores... I have four children, only two are school age. I will have to take them all with me. Going to the thrift stores with four kids is not fun, and call me a spoiled brat- but it's just not my thing. So get creative... what other ways can I save time/money when back to school shopping- aside from going to Walmart?

SAHMomOf3

Asked by SAHMomOf3 at 4:00 PM on Aug. 3, 2010 in

• Come to Tennessee this weekend and shop tax free weekend and guess what?? I will babysit them for free. That's the only advice I can give LOL!
    TNmommaof1

Answer by TNmommaof1 at 7:52 PM on Aug. 3, 2010

• Shop ONLINE!! You can often get free shipping and additional discounts/coupon codes too--check out www.couponcabin.com for the latest coupon codes from your favorite stores!
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 4:06 PM on Aug. 3, 2010

• Not to be rude, really, but how is going to thrift stores any harder than going to any other store? I guess if you have a hard time going out with all the kids then on-line shopping would be the way to go.

Cindy18

Answer by Cindy18 at 4:09 PM on Aug. 3, 2010

• I would go to the Old Navy store and go to the back clearance area. I went for myself this weekend. Things were an additional 50% off the already clearanced price. I got some short and long sleeved shirts, jeans, hoodies, and a long skirt....2 large bags for $50. I was in heaven.
    2BlondeBabies

Answer by 2BlondeBabies at 4:06 PM on Aug. 3, 2010

• this coming weekend is the TAX FREE weekend google it to find the times and list for your area every state is different. here in NC it Friday 12:01am till Sun 11:59pm. Office Depot has some good deal for school supplies last year I paid $0.01 for a pack of 20 pencils, (that's not a miss key i paid one cent) and pennies for other stuff like folders and paper. can you get someone to watch the kids at night and do your shopping at walmart around 10pm and just wait till after mid-night to pay?
    northcarolinama

Answer by northcarolinama at 4:06 PM on Aug. 3, 2010

• LOL!! I am not sure what you need. Have you thought about trying to swap clothes? Maybe you can find another mother that could use sizes you have and vice versa. Resale? Although I think they are kind of high. Clearance at Kohl's and Target can be awesome. I found $5 uniform pants on clearance at Old Navy. Clearance, Clearance, Clearance!!!
    eluc

Answer by eluc at 4:10 PM on Aug. 3, 2010

• I agree tax free weekend is a great thing but I hate crowds so I went to kmart and did lay away for my sons back to school stuff instead of trying to come up with $200 at one time. I also agree with the online shopping!
    Tabatha42183

Answer by Tabatha42183 at 4:10 PM on Aug. 3, 2010

• "Not to be rude, really, but how is going to thrift stores any harder than going to any other store? I guess if you have a hard time going out with all the kids then on-line shopping would be the way to go."

The "thrift" stores around me are very unorganized. There is a Goodwill Family center thats nice, but it's a good twenty minutes away. I don't have a hard time going out with my kids, they're very well behaved... it's just a matter of time. Thrift stores don't have multiples of many items, so you have to pick through things to find stuff you will actually use. I don't have time for that. You try it with kids who are 6, 4, 3, and 18 months. Bet you wouldn't do so hot either.

SAHMomOf3

Comment by SAHMomOf3 (original poster) at 4:13 PM on Aug. 3, 2010

• I live in Ohio... there aren't any tax free days :( Stupid government.
    SAHMomOf3

Comment by SAHMomOf3 (original poster) at 4:15 PM on Aug. 3, 2010

• First, go through every child's closet and figure out what fits, what doesn't, what can be passed down & what needs to go. Then figure out what each child is going to need new for the year, make a single list for everything you need, then do some online window shopping to see who has what you need at the best prices & check the local sales, too. If the kids are old enough to have opinions, then consult with them before you make your final shopping list. I would also limit the stores they can choose from to pick out the stuff they need (when you do your online window shopping).

Once you know what you need & where to get it, it's just a matter of going to the store & picking the stuff up. If you know your kids' sizes well enough & how a particular brand of clothing will fit, I'd consider doing as much of the shopping online as possible. Right now many stores are offering big discounts & free shipping, too.
    mom2aspclboy

Answer by mom2aspclboy at 4:41 PM on Aug. 3, 2010