Ppl familiar w Chicago pls help

I am going to Chicago in a few days to see a few Cubs' games and go to Lolapalooza. We are staying at the Whitehall Hotel, on E Delaware Pl. Lolapalooza, at Grant Park, according to mapquest is 1.91 mi from our hotel and I was wondering how safe it would be to walk to the music festival instead of driving in a big city we are unfamiliar with. We are only going to Lola on Saturday, but it will be for the whole day. I don't know what time we will be leaving, we'll be going there probably around noon or early afternoon, so I'm not too worried about the safety in the middle of the day. It's in the evening I'm concerned about. I'm sure we will be driving to Wrigley since it's more like 6 mi away. TIA mommas!

zeppelynn

Asked by zeppelynn at 4:05 PM on Aug. 3, 2010 in Travel

• You can get a bus on Michigan Avenue that will drop you across the street from Lollapalooza. Driving there would be pointless; you will have to park several blocks away, and probably pay $30. You don't need a car in the city, especially downtown.
    Send me a message offlist if you need ideas on where to eat or what to do.

Answer by rkoloms at 9:12 PM on Aug. 3, 2010

• I was born and raised in Chicago. I moved when I was 21. it should be safe to walk to Grant Park, for festival there are always extra law enforcement and believe it or not "Guardian Angles groups" walk the streets too (civilian crime fighters that are train to protect people and detain the criminals for the cops). as for going to see the Cubs I would take the bus or a cab when there is a game it is darn near impossible to drive down those streets and parking will cost you an arm and a leg. the key to Chicago is to look like you know where you are even if you don't.

northcarolinama

Answer by northcarolinama at 4:17 PM on Aug. 3, 2010

• That's good to know that there will be extra law enforcement and I love the Guardian Angels Groups! What a loving thing to do!! We evidently (ahem DH) paid for parking for one of the two games we are going to. Hmph. I'd so much rather take a cab and be done w it, you know? SOOO much easier that way. Maybe I can talk him into it for the Sunday game. I don't know where the parking we pd for is in relation to Wrigley. I am excited about going, but nervous bc I've never been to a big city. Thank you so much for answering hon! : D
    zeppelynn

Comment by zeppelynn (original poster) at 4:20 PM on Aug. 3, 2010

• your so very welcome. oh if you are going to drive and pay for parking a good thing to check for is if they "Block Parking" which means they will block you in and you may have to wait when your ready to leave till there is an opening to get your car out. if your staying for a few days you should check out one of the museums. every museum has a free day once a week, look on line to see which days for which museum. my fave in the The Field Museum. you could spend the whole day there and not see everything.

northcarolinama

Answer by northcarolinama at 4:33 PM on Aug. 3, 2010

• I second the train or bus in place of the car. The mass transit is wonderul. We lived there for 2 years and just reurned to CA this year- I did not even have a car, although my husband did for work purposes.
    Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 4:53 PM on Aug. 3, 2010

• Thank you mamas! I think we'll get the bus on Michigan Ave!!! I didn't think it was a far enough distance to warrant driving, but I certainly want to be safe, too. Excellent advice, ladies :)
    zeppelynn

Comment by zeppelynn (original poster) at 9:18 PM on Aug. 3, 2010